Search This Blog

Thursday, November 17, 2011

Beautiful Bounty

Isn't it amazing how seasonal foods reflect the weather? Bright green (and purple, and white) asparagus, pale pink rhubarb and potatoes in spring; pretty much everything in the summer; orange pumpkins and squash galore and carrots in fall; and lots and lots of cabbage and turnips in the winter. I think it's a wonderful reflection of the relationship between what we eat and our Earth.
Today's food struck me as being as beautiful as it was delicious, and it all reflected the delicious seasonal harvest:

     Raw overnight oats with chia, pumpkin puree, pomegranate arils, and golden mulberries.


This was amazing. The tart, slightly crunchy bursts of pomegranate were great in contrast to the creamy mellow oats and the chewy, sweet mulberries. Inspired by Vegan Parade's gorgeous chia pudding.
Lunch was steamed kale, raw (out of the package) tempeh, and curry-cayenne roasted kabocha squash from the farmer's market the other day:


And dinner, of course not as nice a photo due to the lack of light thank you very much, but very comforting and filling:


Rutabaga-fennel clapshot, steamed broccoli with pepper and nooch, more of Jes' beer baked beans (! - I had frozen a bunch when it became obvious I could NOT finish the entire batch before they went bad.)
Dessert will be a slice of Isa's Marbled Banana Loaf.


I'm loving this loaf. Another low-fat goodie but so, so tasty. It has a nice crust, it's not too sweet, and it has chocolate. Plus making the swirls was fun too. Can there be anything better?

13 comments:

  1. You are right, everything IS beautiful! I totally agree with you, the colors definitely reflect the season and it definitely helps you realize why eating seasonally is such a smart idea (among many other reasons). Your meals looks amazing and healthy and that bread sounds so good! I can't wait until I can get to Whole Foods because I'm in need of some yummy fresh veggies. Your oats looks so yummy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love your meditation on the seasons! I'd never really thought about it that way before, but, yes, everything does match up so well. It's amazing how our supermarket mentality removes us from that.

    Your eats are beautiful, especially those oats! What I would give for the ability to crawl out of bed in time to make such a beautiful nutritious breakfast. One day... :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Such a great food day! Everything looks so good, especially your breakfast. You're so right about the foods reflecting the seasons.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wonderful observation about seasonal produce and the seasons...I've never thought of it that way before, but it's true.

    Love all the food shots! The oatmeal looks like a perfect mix of soft and toothsome, the squash and kale at lunch look so vibrant and what a great combo!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yum! All that good looks great! And I made Isa's chocolate banana swirl bread the other day and was delighted with the way it turned out!

    ReplyDelete
  6. That marbled loaf really is stunning. I'm sure it's delicious too, but I would definitely hesitate before slicing into it; it's a work of edible art!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I really like the idea of a marbled banana loaf, should try sometimes :-).

    Ciao
    A.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Everything looks good! But I think I am too chicken to try raw tempeh. You've reminded me of those chia seeds that are languishing in my freezer.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Maud! Everything looks wonderful. Once again, I wish you were cooking for me!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. So they're called arils! I always wondered... pomegranate kernels just never sounded right. Everything looks great, especially the overnight oats. That's a pretty damn fine marble loaf, too!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Awesome food going on here, Maud! I wanted to make that marbled loaf for my dad ages ago and never did. I definitely want to after seeing yours!

    ReplyDelete
  12. A spoon! A real spoon!

    The rest of the post is good too. Thanks for the link to the Marbled Banana Loaf.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Tempeh rinsed and barbequed still makes me queasy!...Raw??? Can't do it.

    ReplyDelete

Leave a message and I'll call you back.