Search This Blog

Loading...

Wednesday, November 2, 2011

Artichoke to Death

Sorry about the ghastly title, that was G's name for last night's dinner. No one died, despite the alarming rate at which you'll want to shovel this meal in.
G really is great about thinking up dishes. He sketches out the blueprints and I do the rest. But even when it's me who does all the actual cooking, he's good about reading in the kitchen to keep me company, occasionally looking up to tell me what I'm doing wrong. It's hard to yield to him sometimes because I am very stubborn and have my own controlling ideas of how food should be but at this point I just go with it because dude knows what's up.


Artichoke to Death, serves 4 generously

1/2 c. brown rice cooked w/ 1 cup water
1/2 c. orzo cooked w/ 1 cup water
1 head broccoli, chopped
1.5 cans of artichoke hearts (in water) - about 8 or 9 hearts, halved
1 15 oz. can chickpeas, drained and rinsed
salt
pepper
1 tsp turmeric
2 tsps nutritional yeast

sauce:
~1 TBS tahini
1 TBS lemon juice (about 1/2 a lemon)
1 TBS water, more as necessary
3 tsp dijon mustard
1 TBS capers, rinsed and chopped
1 large clove garlic, minced
1 tsp balsamic vinegar

First prepare the sauce: In a jar (I used the last of my tahini) combine tahini, lemon juice, and water. Stir until it thickens. Add more water if you would like a thinner sauce (tahini thickens as it sits anyway). Add mustard, capers, and garlic. Stir well and add balsamic. Adjust whatever if necessary - I didn't measure exactly, so, do what thou wilt!
And the actual meal:

- Cook the rice in lightly salted water, set aside
- Cook the orzo in lightly salted water, drain, add to rice. Add in turmeric, nutritional yeast, and black pepper. Mix and let sit.
- In a large skillet, heat chopped broccoli. Add a TBS of water if needed to keep from sticking. When it begins to soften (after about 5 minutes) add chickpeas. Stir in pan to cook evenly. As the chickpeas begin to crisp and the broccoli darkens, add artichoke halves. Keep stirring to keep from burning. I like a little crispiness, so the broccoli browns a bit and that's fine.
- Lastly, add in the rice and heat everything through.

Plate, top with sauce and eat!
This made both G and I very happy. It was really filling and very tasty without any added oil. Plus it included veggies, a grain, and a protein. I ate leftovers for lunch over spinach and threw in a couple cherry tomatoes.

17 comments:

  1. "Artichoke to Death" - haha, I love it! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hahaha LOVE the name!! And I bet I would love this dish too, it sounds so delicious! Maybe I'll make it when I add grains back in week 3 of this detox, minus the orzo obviously :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. This salad looks soooo rad! Everything I love is in that thing. I actually haven't had brown rice in a long time (I usually stick with quinoa and bulgur) but I'm thinking I need to get some. And some artichokes, pronto.

    That's what I call team work right there! You're a perfect pair :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Mmm... this is exactly how I like to eat! A bunch o' stuff in a bowl. Looks super satisfying!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh yum! This sounds awesome. I love the mix of rice and orzo. And, artichoke and tahini sauce you say? Super yum...great idea. Being artichoked to death sounds pretty good to me.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yeah, I really like the sound of that sauce. I've gotta try that. Bookmarked!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Does G stand for genius, because he sure is one when it comes to creating amazing dishes! This is my kind of meal. Oh, and I love the name of it. lol

    ReplyDelete
  8. Tahini & artichokes sound like the perfect bowl combo--I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Yum! I need more artichokes in my life.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm easily swayed by artichokes, and this looks like a great use for them. Seriously, I like the ingredients in this dish a LOT.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Yeah...love your title! :o)
    I still haven't tried artichokes yet....yeah I know, I'm crazy. I almost bought some last week though, but I chickened out. Looks like I'm going to have to buy them this next time after seeing your delicious bowl of yumminess! You and G make a great team! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  12. I, for one, love to read aout the dysfunctional details of people's relationships. As long as no one gets hurt, I'm into it. And if a good recipe comes out of it, all the better!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I forgot what I was going to say after reading that Michelle has never tried artichokes, ha! Michelle! They're so good. I love artichokes in pretty much anything. Clever name for your dish. Did it go in the zine?

    ReplyDelete
  14. Ooh! Artichokes are so lovely, I really should cook them as opposed to only having them in salads. Can't wait to try this out!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Thanks guys, yes, Greg is a genius.

    Isobelle, so weird that you use bulghur! I like it but I would never think to use it on a regular basis. This brown rice has a nice, nutty flavor that works really well with the creamy sauce.

    Rose, the rice/orzo mix was G's attempt at a pilaf, the idea of which he had to explain to me, haha.

    Michelle, hie thee to some artichokes!

    Shen, I did kind of burn my hand on the rice but that was my own stupid fault.

    Jenny, this one isn't in the zine...for some reason I keep the two separate. Meh.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Still finding great blogs in the MoFo feed (I haven't given it up yet!) Hello, Foodfeud!

    I was wondering why the rice/orzo mix, so I'm glad you explained it was kinda like a pilaf :-)

    I love the idea of tahini sauce over artichokes et al. Et al including chickpeas, which are my fave.

    Adding you to my blog roll now!

    XO
    Dawn
    Vegan Fazool blog

    ReplyDelete
  17. I ventured over here after I saw Michelle's blogpost in which she raves about this recipe. My tastebuds totally love everything in one bite, bowl food is where it's at, this looks mighty good!Quick question...Do I need someone standing by ready to give the Heimlich?

    ReplyDelete

Leave a message and I'll call you back.