Search This Blog

Loading...

Friday, October 28, 2011

MoFo Interlude 2: A New (Old) Vegan Survey

Tonight is a potluck with the rest of the volunteer Veggie Educators. I'll post later about what I made - kind of another blogger's recipe but kind of not - but it might be late (you know us wild veggie educators!) so I wanted to get this up to tide you over, you know, in case you missed me.
Occasionally these surveys circulate, usually variations on the same questions but I found this one while looking at a defunct blog, My Vegan Spoons. I guess this survey is so old it's new to me, and maybe perhaps to a few of you, so:

1. Choose between locally grown or organic, which do you usually choose?
Hm, it'd probably depend on whether or not the produce is on the Dirty Dozen, but even that I sort of skimp on. The only thing I ALWAYS buy organic are bell peppers and apples. So I guess I'd say local.
2. Favorite way to prepare potatoes:
Sweet potatoes, baked. Other potatoes are rare these days. Maybe steamed.

3. Do you press your tofu before preparing/cooking it (if you eat soy)?
Not often. I usually just eat it plain from the container.

4. Name your favorite recipe that is a tradition in your family:
My mother never makes the same meal more than once. I guess she does a requested creamy leek dish most Christmases.

5. Any food allergies?
Not that I know of. Sensitivities, maybe, but I'm lucky otherwise.

6. When you want to go to a fancy dinner, where do you go?
I would love to get to Candle 79 one day but I go out so rarely that anywhere is a treat.

7. When you have a cold, what do you crave?
Brothy soup.




8. What kind of water do you drink? (Filtered, spring, tap, etc.)

NYC tap.

9. Name a flavor of soda you'd love to see:
I don't drink soda.

10. If the recipes you ate as a child were compiled into a cookbook, what would the title be?
Around the World in Kate’s Car. Haha, my mother's cooking was very influenced by her international travels so -

11. If you were allowed to grow one food that can't grow in your climate, what would it be?
Hm... bananas? Maybe figs?


12. Favorite type of mushroom?
You don't want to know.

13. Most frustrating part of your kitchen?
The light. Not just the lack of natural light (there's one tiny window and it looks out onto an airshaft) but also the 13 ft. ceiling with one light that constantly burns out.
14. Last food you burned?
I can't remember. Garlic, maybe.

15. Usual response to a veg*n's favorite question, "But where do you get your protein?":
Nuts, seeds, beans, lentils, greens.

16. If you were baking your own birthday cake today, what flavor would it be?
Apple cake.



17. Favorite brand of chocolate chips?
Eh, I usually just get WF's 365 Vegan or TJ's.

18. You have $200 of your tax return reserved for Williams Sonoma- What do you buy?
Probably some nice dishware or something, maybe an immersion blender.

19. Do you plan your menus in advance? Any tips to share?
I do for parties certainly and less so on a weekly basis, but I don't have any real tips. Shop around if you have time.

20. You have 3 minutes before you have to leave the house and you're starving- What do you eat?

A piece of fruit and almond butter.




21. If Martha Stewart, Paula Deen, and Rachel Ray got into a fight, who would win?
Martha! Of course! She is one tough lady and I'm sure she learned something in jail.

22. If you eat oatmeal, what do you add to it before serving?
Banana, almond butter, raisins.




23. If you got to travel to one country and learn all the traditional dishes there, where would you go (ignore commitments in your current place of residence)?
Morocco. The cuisine is a perfect combination of French, African, and Arabic. I love the spices. The music and culture of Morocco have always interested me as well, so that's definitely a bonus.

24. Favorite late night snack?

Crackers. Oof.

25. Favorite springtime food?

Asparagus or dilly potato salad.
26. Favorite food-related magazine?
Vegetarian Times is the only one I've ever looked through much.

27. Which do you prefer: shoyu, tamari, conventional soy sauce, or Bragg's Aminos?
Well, I use conventional soy sauce but I should probably get some Bragg's.

28. What vegetable or fruit do you dislike the most?
I hate lychees. They make me shudder just thinking about them.

29. Name a holiday food you look forward to all year long: 

Brussels sprouts on Thanksgiving.

30. If you could convert anyone to veganism with your magic wand, who would you convert?
Stress John, from work. He once told me the only vegan food he'd ever eaten was French fries.

15 comments:

  1. What a great list and some funny answers! Love the photo additions. Poor Stress John from work - I hope he doesn't think McDonalds fries are vegan. You are such a good, healthy eater! I think the only veggies I don't like are canned peas and lima beans. What were they thinking? Fresh peas and dried lima beans are the only way to go.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Loved reading your answers. I cracked up on #21 about Martha Stewart learning something in jail...lol I'm sure people here at work wondered what was so funny. :o)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Moroccan food, yummers. It's been a while since I've enjoyed those flavors. I think it's cool that you seem to have grown up in a diverse kitchen with lots of different foods and flavors - I think I would've loved that as a kid.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I really liked reading these--thanks! I too refuse to drink soda.

    ReplyDelete
  5. haha, I think we both like the same kind of mushrooms.. :)
    I don't eat mushrooms in my food though. They taste really bad to me.

    Cool answers too! I always like reading these surveys. Too bad about John. It's a shame. Really.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love reading people's answers to these things. This is a great one!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ha ha..Stress John! That's funny. I can almost imagine him as a character. That would be some whammy to place on him...I wish you could do it in real life.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ha, #30. I don't know if I've ever had a lychee. Don't know if I would recognize one, either. Fun survey answers.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Haha loved reading your answers! I also loved the Martha Stewart answer :) And I totally agree with the immersion blender.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Blessed Mama, he's a sweet guy, just so unhealthy! He always offers me some of his vegan snacks (corn nuts and pringles and the like) and I politely decline, trying not to cringe and lecture.

    Michelle, I love Martha! She is one tough broad.

    Allysia, I don't know that I appreciated the variety as a kid, but I sure do now, knowing how much it broadened my horizons.

    Stacy, where are the rest of your answers??

    Isobelle, I'm not suprised ;) I do like other mushrooms, too, though. I don't discriminate when it comes to fungi.

    Molly, I thought it had some original questions.

    Rose, I wish I could too. He's a nice guy but...

    Jenny, you don't want to know!

    ReplyDelete
  11. VAVA, immersion blenders are so fun! My sister says its the only kind they have in Spain.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Fun.....Just bought an immersion blender and SO much easier than taking stuff out of the slow cooker and dumping it in the Vita-Mix.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I have answers, only questions (ha ha).

    ReplyDelete
  14. One of the better surveys. The kind that makes one think. Must be nice to have the time to read defunct blogs.

    ReplyDelete
  15. GSGV, yeah, it sounds like a real time saver!

    Stacy, I'm sure you have something to add, no?

    Shen, what's a girl gotta do to get you to answer some questions??

    ReplyDelete

Leave a message and I'll call you back.