Search This Blog

Friday, October 7, 2011

MoFo, day 7: Chai Chia Oat Pudding

Firstly, it is really hard to type "Chai Chia" properly, so Elise from Hungry Hungry Hippie gets points for that. Cahi? Chachi? No, Scott Baio did not come for breakfast but I did make Chai Chia Oat Pudding, something I'm not sure his nice Italian mother would have served him.


To be honest, I wasn't a huge fan of this meal. It's a touchy topic because don't want to disparage other bloggers' work (the whole point of this MoFo theme is to embrace community!) but I do want to be forthright: this is what I ate, this is how I felt - and it's only my opinion!
I may actually have picked a recipe that wasn't exactly something I liked, but that only speaks to the talent of Elise's photography! (I also totally fell for the "This is one you're gonna wanna bookmark.")
Her bowl of oat pudding looks a lot thicker and creamier than mine; this was a little too gooey for me. Perhaps because I didn't have any coconut peanut butter, so I used plain almond butter. I also didn't have stevia, so I used vanilla extract plus agave.


I like my oats on the drier side, so I guess I probably should have been able to eye that the liquid added was more than I usually would. The chia seeds, though I do love 'em, didn't help the matter. Or...the fact that I hate soaked raisins and how mushy they get. I added molasses, as well, since there wasn't much agave left and then THAT totally overwhelmed the chai flavor, which was the whole point of this damn rigamarole!
Basically, I ruined my breakfast through no fault of Elise's. I'm sure this is delicious if you do it right. Go check out her lovely site.
What did you have for breakfast? (Except for you, Shen, unless it was that .1% day.)

12 comments:

  1. There's such a thing as coconut peanut butter!?! :o

    Too bad this didn't turn out for you. It does sound like it could be quite good, though!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, I have never heard of coconut peanut butter either. I don't like peanut butter though.

    I'm still trying to get into chia pudding. I've always had a problem with the feeling of any pudding-type thing in my mouth. It grosses me out.

    I had dinner for breakfast today because I woke up REALLY hungry. I steamed up some broccoli, cauliflower and black beans and stirred in some spinach and nutritional yeast. It was a nice change :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I vote for Chachi as a nickname for it. I'm not a big oatmeal person, but I agree Elise's post was enticing, and it's chock full of good stuff. Maybe your "taster" ( as in tongue) was off today...:D that's what my mom used to tell us when we didn't like something as much as we thought we would.

    I had leftover kidney beans for breakfast. Have a great weekend Maud!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Coconut peanut butter sounds AMAZING! Sorry it didn't turn out like you had hoped. It is always a bummer to look forward to something and not have it turn out like you hoped. I had a gf english muffin with mashed avocado for breakfast :)

    Have a nice weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Looks good! Haha, I had to stare at it for a while because I was like...is my dyslexia kickin in with this title?

    ReplyDelete
  6. It's even hard to read chai chia oat pudding. This is the second oatmeal post I've read today where the poster wasn't thrilled with the results. I've tried some of the fancier oatmeal recipes, but I keep coming back to my basic bowl of oatmeal with fruit (and maybe nuts or seeds), added. Sometimes it's frozen blueberries, sometimes raisins, sometimes pineapple. In the morning, I like to find a rut and stick to it. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I thought it said chia chia pudding. Guess I'm a lazy reader, haha. Anyhoo, maybe this dish just wasn't your cup of tea. It looks yummy to me, but I don't mind runny chia + oats. I had a pumpkin spice smoothie this morning. Hope your breakfast is more satisfying tomorrow :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I also have a really hard time giving anything a bad review online. I never want to hurt anyone's feelings. I've not even mentioned restaurants or products before just because I feel bad saying anything bad about something that is "vegan." But it's true that everyone has different taste buds, and it doesn't mean the recipe or product stunk as a whole. It just wasn't for you.

    I had oatmeal.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I hope that it came across that I was trying to say I'm bad at giving reviews and that I should be better about being honest. So I think it's better to be honest, not overly sensitive like I am.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Yeah, hate it when breakfast gets too liquidy. I never measure anything I put chia in, and half the time have to add more chia or stuff so it is a better texture. I do tend to use chia every single day!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm definitely not checking out Hungry Hippo's site if there's more where that hideous 'mushy' pudding came from! Thanks for the warning!

    ReplyDelete

Leave a message and I'll call you back.