Search This Blog

Loading...

Saturday, October 29, 2011

MoFo, day 29: The Best Mashed Cauliflower

It's cold and rainy and snowy (!) like much of the East Coast here, which calls for some warming comfort food. For this, I turned to Nora from Pride and Vegudice (awesome blog name by the way) and her somewhat healthier than conventional comfort food: Mashed Cauliflower.


This is a low-carb option to mashed potatoes. Now, I'm Irish and grew up loving mashed potatoes or, really, potatoes in any form. And this mashed cauliflower was delicious. I do love cauliflower anyway, but have never prepared it like this. It got super creamy in my food processor and was especially great with the addition of fresh chopped rosemary.
I tried Nora's puree-and-then-bake, method, hoping to get a slightly crispy golden-brown top on mine, but it didn't happen. Nevertheless, tasty.


I served it alongside a salad and some of those seitan-beer sausages from the other day, which actually improved having sat in the refrigerator for a while. Not as oddly expansive, and chewier. The only thing that could have made the meal homier is Isa's punk rock chickpea gravy. I did do Isa the homage of listening to the Ramones while making the mashed cauliflower, though. I think she would approve.

13 comments:

  1. Oooh I've been meaning to try mashed cauliflower for a while now and with this glowing review I really have to get on it! I LOVE rosemary so that addition sounds especially delicious. 2 more days of MoFo!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mmm, I like the puree and bake idea; cauliflower mash tends to be a little wet. I lurve cauliflower, and seitan beer sausage? Yes please!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've heard that this is similar to mashed potatoes. It certainly looks like it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Mashed cauliflower sounds like it was the best thing ever this super chilly weekend! We've only got frost (and had a lot of sleet on Friday), but I could have really gone for such a delicious bowl of food!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm sure you can guess that I would love this!

    ReplyDelete
  6. You know, I've never mashed cauliflower before. I think my love of potatoes has blocked out all other mashed options in my life. :) One day I will conquer my potato tunnel vision!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I've never ever had mashed cauliflower; and guess what?! Whilst I've been away my husband picked up a cauli and its looking at me - mashed cauli may be on our table tomorrow.

    ReplyDelete
  8. VAVA, the rosemary was awesome, I'm sure any other herb would be great too. Ooohh..chive??

    Rose, I can imagine it might be...This was steamed before pureeing, rather than boiled if that makes a difference too?

    Molly, both are equally difficult to get a good photo of!

    Jes, I hope you had plenty of soup to keep you company.

    Stacy, actually, no, I had no idea! Now I know.

    Allysia, once you remove the blinders the world is so much tastier!

    Shaheen, I hope you do try it, although it's not like you couldn't come up with some other wonderful and inventive dish :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. All 3 of the VASF children love cauliflower, so this would go over well here.

    ReplyDelete
  10. OH I love mashed cauliflower....it fools everyone, even my husband.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm so proud of your kids, Jenny. Even Greg "doesn't get" cauliflower.

    B&Y, Hmm maybe I shouldn't have said anything!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Meat & Potatoes (or whatever). That's my kind of meal.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Haha, neither meat nor potatoes but sure! I thought you might like this one, Shen. Beer gravy? Does that exist?

    ReplyDelete

Leave a message and I'll call you back.