Search This Blog

Loading...

Friday, October 28, 2011

MoFo, day 28: Vegetable Pie

I'm back from the potluck, which was really nice. It was low-key, there were some delicious vegan dishes - including a coconut-y, spicy, vegetable stew of which I took leftovers - and we talked about our Educator experiences. It was pretty cool to converse with similarly-minded folks, which I don't often do, opting rather to hide in my head.
Anyway, my contribution to the potluck was intended to be Alice's Onion and Zucchini pie with capers, pine nuts and mint to keep with the MoFo theme. Yet, somehow, as obsessive as I am, as many times as I checked the recipes page, I managed to not buy zucchini. Yeah. And only realized that last night, as I prepped for the pie. I frantically subbed in some roasted sweet dumpling squash that I had hanging around (thank goodness for squashes that are hearty enough that they can just "hang around" until inspiration - or desperation - strikes) and added some kale because I wanted something green.


I also threw in some roasted carrots because as long as I was bastardizing the recipe, why not go all the way? Plus we have a lot of carrots.
Um, also, I left out the mint and  used a premade Wholly Wholesome piecrust because I do not deal with rolling out piecrusts. So anyway, this is pretty far from Alice's lovely original recipe but BESIDES all that, I followed her directions, only eyeballing and guessing from metric measurements to standard. What I'm trying to say is, I think this came out well despite everything. I may actually make it again and post the very adapted recipe, though I still want to make it the original way!
Please, please check out the beautiful Cotto e Crudo site. Her recipes blow me away.

12 comments:

  1. Wpw, this sounds SO good! Glad you had a good time! Potlucks are fun :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. As I am someone who generally hides socially, I'm proud of you for putting yourself out there. Keep moving in that direction! It's too late for me; I'm old and set in my ways. You're young and have time to improve. Awesome pie!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey you! I nominated you for a Liebster! :)

    http://www.scissorsandspice.com/2011/10/vegan-mofo-spreading-love-lots-of.html

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like the way you start a recipe and then change nearly everything until it's completely different from how it started. It reminds me of the old game, whispering down the lane.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Looks good to me, subs or no subs. And I too admire your sociability, shut-in that I am.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yum! I've been contemplating a vegetable pot pie of some sort, but I'm sure this version is much healthier! I like the changes you've made - and any excuse to brighten it up with kale and squash is a win.

    ReplyDelete
  7. and here i thought i was the only one who kept forgetting main ingredients. ha! that's awesome - i do it all the time. it's a good thing the store is just down the road, and most of the time i just wing-it. :) hooray for a delicious pot luck and score on bringing home tasty leftovers, too! like-minded folks are always a plus, fo 'sho!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Vava, thanks, it was fun.

    Jenny, thanks for the well wishes. I totally understand that it's hard to change our habits!

    S&S, thank you!

    Andrea, that's a cool analogy, thank you!

    Stacy, alcohol helps, ha!

    Ingrid, I still want to do a more traditional pot pie soon though maybe squash will make another appearance, I really liked it. I can't wait to see one you make!

    Jessy, it's frustrating but funny - you'd think with ZUCCHINI in the name I'd remember! But sometimes seat-of-yr-pants recipes are more fun and end up being tastier than you'd think.

    Elisabeth, thanks, I do think it came out pretty if nothing else.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Looks like a perfect autumn dish, and perfect for a potluck too. I've been cruising around the CottoeCrudo site...thanks for letting us know about it.

    Glad the potluck was fun!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Capers in a Pot Pie? So was it a success? That's what I hate about Pot Lucks, no one ever eats what I bring.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Rose, it was pretty easy to tote and serve, so yeah - I think tarts work well at potlucks.

    Shen, I liked it! I hope they did! What do you usually bring to a potluck??

    ReplyDelete

Leave a message and I'll call you back.