Search This Blog

Loading...

Tuesday, October 18, 2011

MoFo, day 18: Pumpkin Molasses Bars

Today's recipe comes from the super talented Celine Steen. She is half of the mastermind whirlwind (along with Joni Newman) behind The Complete Guide to Vegan Food Substitutions, Hearty Vegan Meals for Monster Appetites, and 500 Vegan Recipes. She also blogs at Have Cake, Will Travel, sharing amazing recipes and taking beautiful pictures of them. With her talent, it's no wonder I was drawn to one of her recipes.
Keeping seasonal and working with the pumpkin I opened yesterday for the spiced latte, I chose to make her Pumpkin Molasses bars.


Alright, so mine are a little more rustic looking than Celine's, but they were definitely delicious. This recipe was actually made at a perfect time. I almost always have all the ingredients on hand (besides pumpkin, which I knew I had) but this recipe used up exactly the last of my molasses, cinnamon, vanilla extract, and oats! I don't know why that made me so happy to get rid of it all, since I'll just need to buy more. Must be the OCD in me, but whatever!


I like that these aren't super sweet, and with all the oats and molasses, I feel pretty healthy eating one. They aren't too much to look at but the little jewley cranberries in them cheer them up a bit. They have a chewy texture that G likened to a Larabar.


As Celine notes, they're pretty adaptable. If I made them again (after stocking back up on pantry supplies, obv) I'd probably add some walnuts and orange zest.
Go check out some of her beautiful photos and the recipes, or pick up one of the books. OR take a chance at Lacey's giveaway! She is very generously giving away one of the Joni/Celine books and letting you pick which one you'd like! Check it out.

15 comments:

  1. I totally get the OCD thing. I love getting rid of things and organising things in the pantry. These look yum :)i'll have to give them a try...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aren't those pumpkin molasses bars great? I love those things. Yours turned out beautifully. I like the thought of adding in walnuts and orange zest.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You know, these sort of healthy toothsome dessert-y items you post about are one of the few things that get my sweet tooth going for some reason.

    These look really good. I love molasses...looks so good with the oats. Orange zest would be great in there.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Mmm these sound amazing. MoFo is totally making my Bookmarks folder pile up! I see a batch of these in my future for sure :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love Celine's blog, and I was lucky enough to spend some time with Joni during the convention - our bus routes always seemed to sync up! Those two are a powerhouse of awesome. Also I laughed at your OCD comment...I can totally relate to that!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Adore pumpkin and molasses! These look great. Love sweet stuff that doesn't feel like it is rotting your teeth or putting you into a diabetic coma as you eat it!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Looks good, and I also like the little cranberry jewel peeking out. For some reason, I also like it when I finish something in the pantry, only to have to go out and buy some more. Yay for the OCD club!

    ReplyDelete
  8. YUM!!! These sound amazing! I love that they are so healthy for you. Looks like I'm going to have to make these along with G's sammy this weekend.
    I'm the same way with pantry items. It's kinda a love hate thing for me. I love that I just used something up, but hate that I have to go buy more...ha

    ReplyDelete
  9. I gave you an award :)
    http://skinny-vegan-food.blogspot.com/2011/10/liebster-blog-award.html

    ReplyDelete
  10. Claire, organizing is the best! I tried to alphabetize my spices once but that got messed up pretty quickly. Now I settle for all the rice on one shelf.

    Tiffany, thanks, and they were so easy too!

    Rose, do you usually eat desserts?

    VAVA, my bookmark folder is out of control! Do you eat spelt?

    Allysia, you lucky thing to have chatted with them!

    Get Skinny, I can't really handle too much sugar anymore anyway, but these were perfect - no buzz, no crash!

    Blessed Mama, isn't it cute? Haha, maybe it's just that we like to have a fresh, new, clean jar...?

    Michelle, looks like a lot of us feel the same way!

    Claire, thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I haven't tried spelt flour yet, do you recommend it?

    ReplyDelete
  12. I can't taste a difference. It feels a little lighter but it could just be psychosomatic. I wonder if you'd have a reaction to it.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Those you really interesting. I thought the Cranberry was a Cherry. Peek-a-boo!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Those ARE really interesting. Although, you're sometimes interesting as well.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I'm having so much fun catching up on your MoFo posts! This is another winner. I think our taste buds were separated at birth.

    ReplyDelete

Leave a message and I'll call you back.