Search This Blog

Loading...

Monday, October 17, 2011

MoFo, day 17: Pumpkin Spice Latte, sandwich

A bit of a breather today as I'm a little beat from yesterday's shenanigans. Plus we have too much leftover food to warrant a new full dish, and so: a drink.
These pumpkin spice lattes are ubiquitous lately. Variations can be found by Kathy, Averie, Katie, a nameless Vegan Food Snob (her words, not mine!), Angela, and plenty more, I'm sure. I used Michelle's directions because hers seemed easiest, most low key, and used the most amount of coffee to milk ratio! I try to keep my coffee intake to a minimum but I don't like too much milk in my drinks.


It was tasty, and a good afternoon pick-me-up. It was warming and spicy, and perfect as I sat on the fire escape with a book.
I also thought I would give you a loose recipe for the sandwich we had at lunch yesterday. G is an arteest! He cannot be bothered with a vegan food blog. He does, however, dream some delicious food ideas. Ahem, let it be noted that I did the cooking for the sandwich and came up with the bean spread idea but he blueprinted it all and did the actual assembly. Like I said, he's an artist and steadier with his hands. I'm a writer and therefore a lush - as well as a nervous wreck; I tremble.


Cooked Vegetable Sandwich with White Bean Spread and Sundried Tomatoes

1 loaf crusty bread
white bean spread
       1 can BPA-free canellini beans
       1 clove garlic, chopped
       1 TBS chopped fresh basil
       2 TBS lemon juice
       1 TBS olive oil
       salt and pepper to taste
      (Blend until smooth)
1 large zucchini, sliced into rounds
3 portabella mushroom caps
small handful of sundried tomatoes (not packed in oil)
1/4 cup onion, sliced
1 clove garlic, chopped
balsamic vinegar
thyme
salt and pepper

-Make the white bean spread and set aside
-Heat 1 TBS olive oil or veg broth in a pan, add 1 clove chopped garlic and zucchini rounds. Sprinkle with thyme, salt and pepper, cook until zucchini softens and set aside.
-Throw sliced onions into the pan, cook until they begin to soften and add mushroom caps. Pour about 2 TBS balsamic vinegar into the pan, stir around, and cover pan. Cook until mushrooms are soft, about 3-4 minutes. Set aside.
-Warm loaf in 250* oven for about 5-10 minutes. When you take it out, spread with white bean mix, layer zucchini and mushrooms on. Top with cooked onions and sprinkle sundried tomatoes.
-Cut into smallish sections, holding it all together with toothpicks.

We didn't add any greens, but I think this would be really tasty with some wilted spinach in there as well. You could also swap the sundried tomatoes with roasted peppers - or swap the white bean spread for an olivey tapenade! Possibilities are endless.

Be back tomorrow with another pumpkin recipe. You gotta do something with the rest of the can, no?

13 comments:

  1. I'm glad to hear that you liked the latte!

    The sandwich recipe sounds spectacular. I'm adding it to my list!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yaay, thanks for the bean spread recipe! I was planning on making a sandwich for dinner inspired by your post yesterday...I'm really looking forward to it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm so glad you posted the sandwich recipe because it looks phenomenal! I think I'm going to try and find some gluten free wraps and make it! The pumpkin spice latte looks beautiful as well, something I"ll definitely have to try!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You can never have too much pumpkin this time of year. I love pumpkin latte, I should make that soon!

    And also, I'm passing on the Liebster Blog Award on to you, for being all awesome! :) Follow the link here:

    http://blog.happy-vegan.com/2011/10/spicy-black-bean-and-vegetable-soup.html

    Hooray!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yum, I like the idea of a sandwich with white bean spread + sun dried tomatoes!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ohhh, a sandwich, the key to my heart. Good teamwork, G and M.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks for the suggestion, Molly. And let me know what you think of the sandwich if you make it!

    Rose, I hope it turned out well.

    VAVA, didn't you already make a pumpkin latte? Which recipe did you use?

    Allysia, thanks for the award. I definitely agree with you on the pumpkin.

    Thanks, Mandee, it was pretty tasty.

    Jenny - you get it! A marriage of minds and flavors.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Gorgeous-looking sandwich. The bean spread and veggie combo sounds really delicious. I think you're right about the wilted spinach, or maybe some chard or kale.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I made a pumpkin smoothie. I have to get on the pumpkin latte, probably this weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Andrea, I'd definitely go for chard!

    VAVA, my mistake - well get on this, you coffee fiend!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm glad you liked the latte, and I am so trying that sammy this weekend!!!!! It's making my mouth water as I type...OMG!!! :o)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Did you say "marriage"? Do you have "marriage" on your mind? :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. The Sandwich is gorgeous. The plate it's on is fug. Can't wait till it falls out of your trembling hands and breaks (when there's no food on it, of course).

    ReplyDelete

Leave a message and I'll call you back.