Search This Blog

Loading...

Saturday, October 15, 2011

MoFo, day 15: Dragon Bowl

Hello guys. While I could have snacked on Jen's treats all day, I decided to take a little bit of time and prepare a nutritious late lunch. For this, I turned to Jae Steele' Domestic Affair blog - and her delicious Dragon Bowl!
I think I am finally understanding the concept and allure of "The Bowl." Grains, vegetable, protein, sauce. Awesome.


This one was absolutely perfect for me: high raw, light and fresh, but filling. The quinoa cooks up quickly, and the tempeh is also lightly cooked, and both slightly wilt the spinach. My favorite part of this bowl, though, might be the sprouts! I used to buy them a lot but they are either a summery thing in my mind, or I got a little scared about contamination. I can't remember why I stopped buying them but they are so great.
It doesn't hurt that this is immensely appealing to the eye as well. I tried to get a "strata" shot:


Spinach, carrot, red cabbage, Nikki's beet pate, sprouts, tempeh.
And the icing on the cake, or the dressing on the salad: a great nooch based salty-sweet sauce drizzled on top.


Jae doesn't post too frequently anymore, but when she does, it always cheers me up - whether it's a recipe or wisdom. She also has two great cookbooks that I do not use enough: Get it Ripe and Ripe from Around Here.
I would like to mention that G put together the leftovers when he got home for dinner, added avocado, and says "This is the best thing I've eaten in a long time." Happy, healthy.

16 comments:

  1. Awesome looking salad! Makes me want to go and put one together for dinner too. I just might have to!

    I stopped buying sprouts ages ago as well. I see them in the store a lot and always just glance at them and walk by. I do like them though.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the looks of all the food you post!!! Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is my kind of meal! I'm definitely putting it on our list, but will probably be swapping out the oil in the dressing. It looks delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, that is a seriously healthy, fresh and beautiful meal. I especially love the "strata" picture :) Gotta love the bowl!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. That sounds amazing! I love a salad with a myriad different flavours and components! But why, pray tell, the "dragon" name? :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. yum! i love a good 'bowl' like this.

    i'm always a bit cautious about buying sprouts at the grocery store but am lucky to have a friend who sprouts for our local food co-op - knowing where your sprouts come from is key i think. i have friends who do their own sprouting too! it's quite easy from what i hear, though i can't say i've tried it yet myself.

    ReplyDelete
  7. That sounds and looks delish! I could go for a big bowl of that right now. I'll have to try this one for sure!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Really looks good. Avocado and Tempeh is a brilliant combo. Kudos to G.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Those tempeh cubes look really great. What an awesome bowl! I rarely buy sprouts - but yours sure look good. Maybe I can add sprouting things myself to my bucket list.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hmm, I'll have to check out her site. Looks good!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Isobelle, definitely recommended. Easy to put together, too.

    Thanks Aimee, you too!

    Molly, yeah - I only used 1 TB and more water and it was fine.

    Thanks VAVA. I wish the bowl were clearer, but you get the idea.

    Hannah, I was wondering the same thing about the name. I have no clue.

    Jess, that's a good point. You obviously know the right people.

    Michelle, big is right. It was totally filling.

    Shen, G accepts your kudos.

    Jessica, they are supposed to be easy to grow. Sounds like a good project, what with all the new light in your kitchen!

    Blessed Mama, do it! She's great!

    ReplyDelete
  12. the bowl looks great. and, i didn't know jae steele had a blog, so thanks for bringing that to my attention! :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Another bowler! I've got to get on this...
    Do share the dressing recipe; I'm always on the lookout for new ones, especially ones that get nooch into my bod.

    ReplyDelete
  14. If you could come make my lunch every day, I would super appreciate it. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Lauren, come on down! Lunch is actually my favorite meal to prepare.

    ReplyDelete
  16. WOW! What a bowl! I'd love to have this for lunch. :-)

    ReplyDelete

Leave a message and I'll call you back.