Search This Blog

Thursday, October 13, 2011

MoFo, day 13: Orange Glazed Carrots and Bok Choy with Rice Noodles

I went to the food pantry this morning and we gave out rutabaga, carrots, and sweet peppers. I usually like to play a little game with myself and make something with one of the vegetables we give out, so I quickly browsed through my bookmarked recipes and found Orange Glazed Carrots and Bok Choy with Rice Noodles from the Jesse's Happy Go Lucky Vegan blog. Yes, the name is a mouthful and trust me, you'll want a mouthful of this dish!
I already had some of the major ingredients on hand (rice noodles, orange, spices) or could sub some in, so that was another bonus besides including carrots.


The ingredient list looks a little long but it all comes together quickly. I mixed up the two sauces first, subbing agave for brown rice syrup and a serrano pepper for the red chile. I also don't have sesame oil and while I'm sure it would have tasted great, I used canola oil and nothing exploded.
The glaze never really "glazed" for me, maybe I didn't cook it down enough first, but it still tasted delicious. I was a little wary while it cooked because it smelled super-orangey and like cloves and I'm not a huge fan of sweet sauces but when paired with the more soy-sauced noodles and the spices of the pepper, it was really, really good.
I topped the bowl with chopped leek (another sub for scallion) and sesame seeds - those I do have! Leftovers for lunch and everyone's happy.
Even with the number of bookmarked recipes still in my folder, I can definitely see myself coming back to this recipe. Thanks, Jesse!

Oh, and as an aside - I finished my newest issue of my food zine, Marmalade Umlaut! If you're interested on hearing a little more about the food pantry, I have a round-up about the experience and my thoughts on government food aid in the zine, along with a couple of recipes, a poem, some fall produce tips, and randomness. There's a paypal link on the right sidebar, or e-mail me if you'd like a copy! Thanks!

8 comments:

  1. YUM! I'm so hungry. Looks perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Omg that looks waaaay better than my bok choy salad yesterday. I'm definitely gonna have to order some issues of your zine! Yay!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That seems like a fun challenge/game to play on food pantry days...sort of like those cooking shows were some selected member of the audience shows up with a bag of mystery ingredients and the chef has to make several dishes from it.

    This sounds so yummy...I think I'm going to bookmark this recipe too.

    Yaay! for the new zine edition!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That looks delicious! I always buy rice noodles and never use them, so this looks perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  5. That looks very light and healthy. I agree with Rose; I always think that would be a fun thing to do with some friends.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks, Aimee, it was really tasty.

    VAVA, yet still similar. Bok choy is so great.

    Rose, yeah! I didn't think about that. My own personal Iron Chef.

    Lauren, I only bought rice noodles once but it seems to be a magical never-ending bag. Always looking for ways to use them.

    Jenny, you should throw your kids an ingredient themed party!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm guessing you're in favor of government food aid. Unless you go into explicit detail about yelling at the homeless people touching the vegetables, that's three extra dollars burning a hole in my pocket! WooHoo!

    ReplyDelete
  8. It's not that simple, Shen!! But yes, you're better off spending the 3 dollars on a cookie.

    ReplyDelete

Leave a message and I'll call you back.