Search This Blog

Friday, September 2, 2011

Choosing Raw's Sunflower-Oat Bars

These Sunflower-Oat bars from Gena at Choosing Raw are the sunflower seed butter recipe I alluded to the other day.



I used the baking option because I thought it would make them sturdiest, but you can see that they got a little burnt - even though I only cooked them for 20 minutes! The taste is great and super nutty (seedy?) and coming from Gena they are, of course, healthy. The cacao nibs are something I bought for another recipe a while ago and haven't used them in anything else so I was glad to see how well they worked here. Other than that, the bars were easy to make, as Gena promises and I love how adaptable they are - both for flavors and food allergies or preferences. I would definitely make them again, using either the no-bake option and including sesame seeds or simply only loosely pressing the mixture into a pan so that the pieces could be eaten as a granola.
I broke a bar up this morning, added goji berries, extra raisins, and milk for a museli-type cereal. That may have been more enjoyable than eating the bars as such only because my wisdom tooth is rearing its head again and making it quite painful to sleep on my right side, let alone crunch into a seedy-oaty bar, delicious as it is.

11 comments:

  1. Those look delicious!! I'm definitely going to have to try them out :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mmmm. Thanks for sharing! I have some sunflower seed butter, but it's been the pantry for awhile...and it's homemade. I wonder how long it lasts...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yummy, I love sunflower seeds! Thanks for putting the link here!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Those bars sound great. I love making Gena's recipes. I'll have to try those out. I don't have any cacao nibs though. I decided to buy goji berries instead of the nibs the other day....bummer! Some kind of raw treat is on my menu for this weekend.
    I hope your tooth gets better. Nothing worse than tooth ache.

    ReplyDelete
  5. These look SO amazing and SO much better than all the Oaty type of packaged bars!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. They really look good. Sorry to hear about the tooth problem. Might wanna get that taken care of sooner rather than later.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Youch, I hope that you can get relief for your tooth soon. :(

    The bars look really yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yum, these look really good; I'm on a dessert kick this weekend for some reason...I may just have to make these. Right now, I've got blackberry turnovers in the oven.

    Wisdom teeth are a drag. I hope the pain goes away soon. I remember getting jaw aches and full-on headaches before I had to have out.

    ReplyDelete
  9. The bars look about 100 times better than the one I bought the other day, and probably taste 100 times better, too.

    Sorry about your tooth. I went through a wisdom tooth extraction a few years ago, and I don't miss the tooth at all. :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I haven't tried this recipe myself, but the bars look great!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thanks, guys, I definitely recommend the bars - and pretty much anything on Gena's site!

    Michelle, I think she actually used carob chips in the original recipe - you could probably use choc chips too, if you have any, but the nibs were nice because they were chocolatey without getting melty.

    Shen, I know! I keep putting it off, ugh. I'm going to get an infection and it's going to poison and kill me, I know it.

    Rose, blackberry turnovers sound SO GOOD! Will you post about those? Did you make the dough, or puff pastry?

    Andrea, I'm hoping I don't have to get it pulled but this happens every few months and it's pretty annoying.

    ReplyDelete

Leave a message and I'll call you back.