Search This Blog

Sunday, August 21, 2011

Two Rice Bowls

I'm starting to come around to this idea of "The Bowl." As detailed in Appetite for Reduction, a bowl is basically a grain, vegetables, a bean, and a sauce. It is a tasty and healthy meal that comes together really quickly.
For lunch, I cooked up some brown rice while boiling a sweet potato that I needed to use up. When they were cooked, I put them in a bowl with spinach to wilt and some chopped raw broccoli. I topped it with hummus and nooch, which melted just a little into the warm rice and potato to make a creamy, almost cheesy sauce.


T'was good.
I wanted to go grocery shopping today but the rain kept me inside so dinner was another leftovers bowl.


More brown rice, raw shredded cabbage, chopped bell pepper, sliced olives topped with salsa. The olives were a bit of a random addition, but not a bad one.
Neither of my bowls have a bean, per se, but I figured the brown rice had a fair amount of protein and the hummus in the first bowl provided a little more.
Do you have a favorite version of The Bowl?

8 comments:

  1. Yum!! This looks great! I have to say my favorite bowl I've made thus far is brown rice, chickpeas, sun-dried tomato, roasted cauliflower and nooch. It's so good! I definitely see some bowls in my future this week :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your description of the bowl makes me think I'm at Currito. That second one looks really good, though, with the chunky tomato and olives.

    Sometimes when I sit down with a whole bowl or plate of one thing, I get bored before I finish eating. Doesn't matter how much stuff is in there. If I'm pressed, I'd have to go basic: black beans and rice, with extra veggies like mushrooms, corn, and bell pepper. And tomato. I'll use the black bean pot likker as my sauce.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your bowls both look good...I especially like the look of the one with sweet potato. I usually eat something like The Bowl...but on a plate...just chuck it all together.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I really like to make a bowl of bulgur wheat with pinto beans, tomato, onion, red and green peppers and then mix in some artichoke hummus. And maybe some spinach if I have it.

    But your bowls look really good! I haven't had one in a long time. I will have to make one for dinner tomorrow.

    ReplyDelete
  5. OK...I'm behind on this type of meal. I haven't been making any "bowl" meals, but by the looks of your two bowls, this must change! I'll have to work on that over the next couple of weeks, that's for sure. I love the idea of a bowl meal. :o)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I find myself always making this kind of stuff now. Quinoa and some simple cooked veggie. Love it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm with Michelle- behind on this type of meal but agreeing that this must change! It is such an easy, healthy meal. I love that you combined hummus & nootch. I'm going to try that for sure!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I've made a bunch of Appetite for Reduction bowls and love that they're so easy, filling, and are a complete meal. Love your versions!

    ReplyDelete

Leave a message and I'll call you back.