Search This Blog

Loading...

Tuesday, August 30, 2011

Soup, Salad, Sandwich

So, it would appear that when you prepare enough food to last you through three to four days of hurricaning, you're going to being eating the same food for three to four days.
Everything has been the same. The one difference yesterday was that I didn't eat dinner, opting instead to get unfortunately toasty on gin and juice.
And so this morning, after my water, coffee, and gingerade kombucha (to hydrate, wake me up, and settle my stomach, respectively) I was dreaming about dinner. A hearty, comfort food dinner. The first thing that came to mind was grilled cheese and that thought settled decidedly. I don't often get cravings for food like that but when I do, I'd like to do it right. On my 15 minute break, I ran to Whole Foods, picked up an onion, tomato, some FYH Vegan Cheddar, and some Early Bird Multi Seed bread. Somehow, with lots of water, tabbouleh and salad, a peach, and the promise of a good dinner, I made it through the day.
So, with leftover lentil soup and an Amish dill pickle:



Okay, I can't really allow myself comfort food. I cooked it in the oven, so technically this is a baked cheese sandwich, but it was still really good. FYH melts better than this but I didn't want it to get too gooey. I also spread one side of the bread with the basil hummus from the other day, as I've heard of vegan quesadillas made with hummus and I thought the basil would lend a nice flavor. I was so stuffed I couldn't even eat the salad! That's saved for lunch tomorrow.
Do you have a favorite, ahem, recuperative food? Or are you all more responsible with the juice than I am?

PS - I just signed up for this vegan swap, if anyone else is interested. I've wanted to do one of these recently, but Lindsey is way more on top of things than I am.

11 comments:

  1. Baked counts as comfort food too! And the bread is looking particularly amazing...........glad you made it through the turmoil. Maybe it's time for a gin and juice fast?? You know. Just to "clear the head". :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, that's the thing about stocking up, you eventually have to eat it all. But, I'd be fine eating 3 or 4 days of the lentils.

    As for the day after a bit too much indulgence, I hear ya...been there, many times. I like kombucha at those times too, it really does make my tummy feel better. Like you too, I crave comfort foods...what the heck, anything to take away the pain. Good job not actually grilling the cheeze; it still sounds and looks like it would hit the spot.

    I'm convinced that the best recuperative strategy is drinking tons of water and sleeping through it...late into the day if need be, but of course, that's not always an option. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. PS: Amish dill pickle...I'm intrigued! I bet they do a mean pickle.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have been vegan for years but haven't ever tried vegan cheese. I guess I'm a bit scared to, though that probably sounds silly.
    The sandwich looks great though!

    I just signed up for the vegan swap! I didn't know that people even did that. It is such a cool idea.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I totally think that it isn't how a meal is prepared it is how a meal makes you feel to be considered comfort food :) The sandwich looks delicious, I love that you put in tons of tomato! And you really upped the nutrition with your sides. I know how it goes with eating the same thing recently but I'll be back on track and blogging again tomorrow! How do you like kombucha btw? I've been wanting to try it but I heard that there is stuff floating in it and that kinda of freaks me out LOL

    ReplyDelete
  6. Baked works for me as far as grilled cheese goes. But comfort food for me usually includes avocado. Lately it's been avocado and other things (maybe a veggie burger and cherry tomatoes) on a corn tortilla. Ah. And a lot of peppermint tea.

    Thanks for mentioning the swap!

    ReplyDelete
  7. No "juice" for me but I do like my comfort foods. Love grilled cheese sandwiches. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yum..Yum..Yum! I've loved grilled cheeses since I was little. Looks like you did that sammy up right. :o)

    Okay...I've seen you mention your Zine before, but never knew what you were talking about until now. I just left Rose's place and wow...you are so talented! I'll be placing an order for some of those right away! :o) I can't wait to make what Rose posted.

    Oh, thanks for the heads up on the swap. I'm going to check it out right now.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Get Skinny, I am DEFINITELY off the gin and juice for a while.

    Rose, I'm a big fan of sleeping it off, too. Much better than working a nine hour day straight through. The pickles were awesome!

    Isobelle, some people might say vegan cheese isn't worth the attempt. I think it's alright in small doses. Maybe you'll get some in the swap!

    VAVA, I like my grilled tomato sandwiches with cheese :) I love kombucha! You should really try it! It might seem scary but it tastes delicious and it's really refreshing. Just be careful when opening them!

    Oooh, Andrea - both avocado and peppermint tea sound amazing right now.

    Alessandra, they were, even though I could only stomach two S's.

    ChowV, they're so great! I see many more in my future.

    Michelle, yeah, toasted/microwaved grilled cheeses were basically my staples when I was young. I hope you do the swap! It should be fun. And thanks for the kind words about the zine - I'll email you some details :)

    ReplyDelete

Leave a message and I'll call you back.