Search This Blog

Loading...

Wednesday, August 31, 2011

Food Field Trip

Yes, my life is so exciting that sometimes I visit new grocery stores. Actually, this trip was a bit more exciting than usual because I had a Groupon! This was my first time using one of the Groupons I've bought and I was a little nervous it wouldn't work out. But it did! And check out the haul:


For only $2.36! Well, kind of. I guess it was $17.36 - but the deal was $15 for $30 worth of food, so I think I did well. "Cheezy Pizza" flavor raw kale chips, pumpkin pie mix (I messed up! I wanted plain pumpkin!!), organic sunflower seed butter, sauerkraut, Vega protein powders (vanilla chai and chocolate) and carob-spirulina energy bites.
The Groupon was for a local health food store, Elm Health on 14th St. and 7th Ave in Manhattan. I had actually never heard of this place, despite working only a few blocks away. Inside, it is clean and sleek and not at all crowded. There is a wide variety of products but they only carry one or two brands of each product. I'm not super picky about that stuff but it's nice to have an option.
The store is bigger than I had expected and it's a bit randomly organized so I had to do quite a bit of wandering to find what I was looking for. There weren't many employees around to help either. Maybe I was looking in the wrong places, but I couldn't even find tempeh or tofu. Speaking of which, it was sort of difficult to pick what I did want to buy. I figured since I had a half-off deal, this would be one of my few chances to buy some foods I've wanted but don't actually feel like spending money on. Hence the kale chips, pumpkin, and sunflower seed butter. This is also the first time I've ever bought or tasted sunflower seed butter! That purchase was for a recipe I made tonight (more on that tomorrow) but I also tasted some off the spoon and I really like it! Very smooth and sweeter than I imagined.
Anyway, Elm Health was nice for a visit (with a coupon especially) but I can't imagine returning here often. The selection is a bit weird and the prices are confusing. Everything has two different prices on it! I wonder if any New York readers have been here - what do you think of the store? They do have a juice bar, which is always nice, and a well-stocked natural pharmacy. I may try to exchange the pumpkin pie mix for canned pumpkin and get a juice while I'm there but I much prefer Lifethyme in the West Village. They have a raw food bar and the guy who makes THEIR juices has dreads! Elm Health seems a little too slick for me, which sort of makes sense considering its proximity to Chelsea.
But still - $2.36!!

What would you buy if you had fifteen extra dollars at your favorite health food store?

12 comments:

  1. Looks like you found some great stuff! I would love to try those pizza kale chips!! I'm mad I don't have some right now (says the pregnant girl who just ate 3 pickles in a row) :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. too funny, "and the guy making the juice has dreds!"
    i totally hate the overly slick places. i love the food at pure food, but sometimes the atmo. is just TOO sex in the city for me. like i really don't want to be seen! but have to love those groupons. of course here we are more likely to have them at say, pappy's smokehouse :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've never used a groupon, but now I'm going to look into them. That's a super great deal!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Looks like you made some great choices! Glad your first groupon experience was a good one :) I love checking out new grocery stores too. If I had a few extra $ I'd probably splurge of garlic and herb cashews (these things are magical) or some new expensive vegan protein powder that I don't buy bc I go for the cheap stuff. How do you like the vanilla chai powder?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh yum...the carob-spirulina energy bites sound yummy. Were they good? I saw something similar to that when I went to HF a couple of weeks ago. I wanted to try them, but realized I was spending enough money already. I think you did good with your groupon!
    Oh, I would definitely buy my juice from a guy with dreads too. I don't know what it is about dreads, but I think guys look hot that have them. :o)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I like the idea of the sunflower seed butter too. I'm waiting to see what you used it in.

    I've never checked into the Groupon thing, I'm crap at math so that kind of stuff confuses me.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm a Groupon addict!

    I'd probably spend 15 extra dollars on coconut milk yogurt or fancy nut butters. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. What great finds! I get nervous or embarrassed or something using Groupons too.
    I'll be interested to see what recipe calls for sunflower seed butter. And kale chips would be on my splurge list - hope they are good!

    ReplyDelete
  9. The Carob-Spirullina Energy Bites look good. The Organic Sunflower Seed Butter is probably worth $8 alone, so I guess you saved some bucks.

    I feel ashamed using Groupons as well. Still do though. Always awkward carrying around an 8x11 piece of paper while trying to shop or eat.

    ReplyDelete
  10. How were the kale chips? I've seen them, but they are so expensive! I make them all the time but have been curious whether these flavored ones are better.

    ReplyDelete
  11. As a run down, the carob-spirulina bites were awesome! I'd love to figure out a way to make them myself, but otherwise I'd totally pay for them.
    The sunflower seed butter is awesome.
    As for the kale chips, I can't believe how expensive they are. Companies that sell them need to seriously CHILL. I only bought them because I had a half off coupon. I didn't particularly love the pizza flavor (whatever the hell that means anyway) but the store wasn't selling a normal flavor and I thought these would have the most spice. The texture was great, but nothing one can't make at home. Also, oddly enough, the Ed's of Maine Kale Chips are made in Smithtown, NY.

    ReplyDelete

Leave a message and I'll call you back.