Search This Blog

Loading...

Sunday, August 28, 2011

All Clear

Thanks for the well wishes, everyone. NYC pretty much lucked out with the hurricane. It looks like North Carolina and Vermont got/are getting the worst of it. There were high winds last night but I slept right through them. I took a walk this morning (camera-less) and there were some big old trees down, which is sad, but they mostly missed even the parked cars on the street. I hope others get off as easily.
Here are a few photos of the neighborhood yesterday, more to give you an idea of the hood than anything else. I went a different path this morning, to the more historic parts of Bed-Stuy, but there is an interesting character to a lot of this area, as well as a more recent turn towards community gardens and self-sustainability.



            An "Herban" Farm I volunteered at once - they have a small farmer's market on Sundays.



                                                        I love the one of Angela Davis!


                          Brownstones that always make me want to watch Spike Lee movies.




                                                   Yes, half of a car on top of a dumpster.

Anyway, onto the sustenance. When I went to sleep last night I had no idea if I'd wake up with power, water, or gas so I had prepared some overnight oats. (Even though I eat them all the time when we do have power and water.)


Here, with chia seeds, chopped peach, and coconut.
Lunch:


I made a salad and topped it with the tabbouleh I made yesterday and some basil hummus using this recipe. I took our basil plant in from the fire escape last night and I wanted to use up as much of the leaves as I could in case it wouldn't keep. I halved the recipe and it still made a ton. I used soaked and cooked chickpeas, shucked, left out the olive oil and added more chickpea cooking water. Toasting pine nuts was one of the best parts of making this - they smell so good! The whole meal was delicious all blended together.
Dinner:


The lentil-wild rice soup and chopped summer squash, carrots, and red pepper with more basil hummus.
It was a tolerable, mostly insidey day but I can't wait to go places and do things tomorrow. Getting a little stir-crazy, but I shouldn't complain if that was the worst of the troubles. Oh! Unfortunately, though, my parents, who were visiting my brother in CA are stranded there until Friday and Saturday due to flight cancellations! It looks like I will be paying a few extra visits to their cat and fish...

9 comments:

  1. I wondered where the other half of my car went! Ha. JK. So Yay! Glad you made it out okay! Really enjoyed the neighborhood photos. Really cool how there are no actual people in them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad you got through everything ok! Your neighborhood pics are great! Looks like you live in a very interesting, eclectic area :) The food looks nummy too! Love how the lack of power (?) didn't effect your meals :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Phew, glad it's all over and all are ok!

    I love seeing the pics of your neighborhood and getting an idea of the general environs. Very herban!

    All the food looks colorful, tasty, and nutritious as usual! I usually don't like foreign objects in my hummus, but basil sounds like an addition I could like.

    Ultimately, you've got me dreaming about that combo of lentils and wild rice, and like you.it's getting me in the mood for autumn eating too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. So happy to hear that things weren't as bad as they thought they might be. I really enjoyed seeing the pics of your neighborhood.

    Toasting pine nuts does smell so good. I love them!

    ReplyDelete
  5. So glad you made it thru without damage and that you are okay!
    Love the pictures! Too funny about the back half of the car on the dumpster. That looks like something you would see here in the south!
    That hummus sounds awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  6. If going stir-crazy is the only trouble, sounds good to me. I hope today's adventures are making up for it.

    Now, what's your opinion on shucking the chickpeas? I did that once and thought it was more trouble that it was worth. I like to make my own hummus (the Sabra stuff you were trying to get rid of coupons for is too oily) - but I don't bother shucking them.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Don't really know what to say, except I'mn glad that the worst has passed for your in relation to the hurricane, but its so sad to see it raging havoc elsewhere :(
    If I should ever find myself in your part of the world, I'd love to check out your neighbourhood. Thanks for sharing the fab photographs. I love the graffiti art epecially,the people who have come to symbolise freedom and equality for all.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Shen, haha, yeah, I kind of felt weird taking photos so I tried to do it when no one was around. Do you wear your daisy dukes when you drive that car?

    VAVA, I don't know how well you know Brooklyn, but this is a really fun part.

    Rose, glad you liked the photos. Have you ever been to New York??

    Molly, I rarely use pine nuts but I should more often!

    Michelle, the hummus came out really well! Yeah, the car reminds me of Dukes of Hazzard.

    Jessica, I have OCD so I have a weird love/hate feeling about shucking chickpeas. I feel like it does make hummus a bit creamier but it can be a bit of a frustrating job. Do you add oil to your hummus? I don't and I think that makes a difference too. This batch came out really creamy but that's probably due more to the pine nuts and extra water than shucking the chickpeas.

    Shaheen, Bed Stuy is a really empowering area :) I hope you do find yourself here one day!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I lived in Boston for 2 years back in the 90's, and I went to NYC once with my boyfriend. It was fun, but we didn't do a whole lot of sightseeing :P and never left Manhattan. We went to SOBs...it was a blast! Also played chess in a coffee shop for hours...that's all I remember really...and that I was amazed by the enormity of it, and the subway...a whole world of its own.

    ReplyDelete

Leave a message and I'll call you back.