Search This Blog

Monday, July 11, 2011

Monday Night Special

I've got a few out-of-the ordinary things today.
Breakfast was small today: banana and raw almond butter because I ate way too much hummus and cucumber last night and felt sick. The good news on that one is that I realized I don't actually like Sabra hummus much (although enough to eat too much of it). So, what to do with all the Sabra coupons I've somehow amassed? Easy: pass them onto you guys.
Two winners randomly picked will each receive two Sabra coupons for $1 off any 8oz. or more Sabra variety (expiration 12/31/11). To enter, just tell me your favorite type of dip - it doesn't have to be hummus! I'll keep the giveaway open until Friday, July 15.
Also, I typically stick to food photos on here (and ones of my cat) but here's a shot of the dress I finished yesterday, 'cuz some of you were interested. Those of you who weren't interested, well, avert yr eyes.


The top part is half of an old shirt and the lower half is part of a hoodie - you can kind of see the pocket. Basically I did very little work beyond sewing the two halves together and sewing a band with ties onto it, but I'm pretty pleased with how it came out (aka at least it's wearable.)
Anyway, today was HOT and I had a lot of chores to do. Somehow I ended up walking 3 miles (after a half hour bus ride) to pick up 30 lbs. of cat food and then hauled it all back home. I did laundry, swept, steam-mopped (and got pretty steamy myself), and cleaned the bathroom. After that all I took a shower and ate a huge salad. The salad part is not so out-of-the-ordinary.


Romaine, baby spinach, red cabbage, shredded carrot, cucumber, and raw corn topped with Green Goddess Dressing.
I also decided I deserved a drink. I made something nice, not my usual beer, inspired by Shen's of late and Feisty Forks'.


This is a Pimm's Cup with muddled blueberries, lemon juice, mint and seltzer water. I sat out on our fire escape for a breeze and realized our next-door neighbors have a chicken coop and three chickens in their yard! The things hiding in the wilds of Brooklyn.
I made an orzo salad with pesto, artichokes, and sun-dried tomatoes for G but since I'm still trying to stay away from cooked foods for now, my dinner was another salad:


Romaine, carrot, tomato, and sun-dried tomato topped with an herb dressing (parsley, basil, garlic scapes, tahini, miso paste, and lemon juice).
That's all. Perhaps another drink or two.

12 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I seriously posted today about how I always haven't like Sabra hummus but over the weekend tried the supremely spicy variety and I'm in love. HAHA. My favorite dip is either hummus or caraway cottage cheeze (recipe is at Addicted to veggies site).

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cute dress - and it looks comfy, too, which is important when it's hot.

    I tried Trader Joe's chipotle hummus and really liked it. I also like the Mediterranean hummus, though I often just buy the organic, because, well, it's organic. (Don't enter me in the drawing because I'm not thrilled with Sabra either.)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the dress! Very creative, and looks like a perfectly hip little summer number. It looks like the James sticker is optional. lol :)

    Good work sticking to the salads...it all looks fresh and delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ooh those salads look so delicious - I need to make some soon. ^^

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your sewing skills are way ahead of mine! The dress is really cute, and I love that you used two tops to make it.

    Your food always looks amazing. I'm craving a salad!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Funny, I don't like Sabra either. At first, I liked how creamy it was, but now I've stopped buying it and always try to keep cooked chickpeas on hand so I can whip up my on whenever I want.

    I am digging your herb dressing - sounds amazing!

    Finally, super cute dress. That hoodie skirt is genius.

    ReplyDelete
  8. My favorite dip is definitely hummus, followed VERY closely by guacamole! The dress is adorable and super creative! I wish i could think of things like that! The salads look fresh and lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  9. That dress looks like it would go great with your new bowling shoes. You're like the Kate Middleton of Brooklyn!

    ReplyDelete
  10. My favorite dip would probably have to be vegan Ranch dip...Tofutti sour cream mixed with a little garlic and onion powder. Oh yea! But I also love vegan nacho dip and hummus and guacamole and salsa. Honestly, I've never met a vegan dip I didn't like.

    ReplyDelete

Leave a message and I'll call you back.