Search This Blog

Loading...

Monday, July 18, 2011

Interesting Things I Didn't Eat (with recipes!)

Well, I'm still eating raw so instead of showing you salad after salad and way too many bananas, I thought I'd show you some of the stuff I made for my mom, who is having a dinner party tonight for some people she works with (including a priest!). I went over early to my parents' house to clean and prep while she was at work. I made white bean burgers (recipe below):



(before and after baking)
and a sweet potato salad:


Dressed with Dijon mustard, balsamic vinegar, olive oil, salt and pepper and tossed with chopped parsley, toasted walnuts, and dried cranberries.
I also finished up a carrot salad my mom had made, adding chickpeas and cilantro. The best part of that was using their mini hatchet!


She had already made a cornbread (not vegan - I think there was cheese in it, but it looks pretty. There were also chopped peppers in it.)


We put out some peanuts, cuz we classy like that.


Also on the menu was a green salad, grilled chicken, fruit salad, cannolis, fish pies, and probably even some more stuff I can't remember.
More stuff I didn't eat (yet) is this kimchi! This is a photo from yesterday and another one from today. In the second picture, you can see the bubbles of fermentation!



I am excited for this stuff. I salted chopped napa cabbage and let it wilt overnight. The next morning (cuz there's nothing like the smell of cabbage in the morning), I rinsed the cabbage off and added grated carrot, sliced radish, chopped garlic, grated ginger, red pepper flakes, and a little cane sugar. I hope it comes out well! I will keep you posted.
Now, how about that white bean burger recipe?

White Bean Burgers (makes 12 smallish patties)

2 15 oz. cans (BPA free) white beans
1 TBS olive oil
1 c. scallions, chopped
2 large garlic cloves, minced
3/4 c. finely grated carrot
3 TBS lemon juice
1/4 c. chopped parsley
1/2 c. bread crumbs
1 tsp mustard
black pepper and salt to taste
cayenne pepper or sriracha for heat if desired

-Heat olive oil in a skillet and saute scallions, garlic, and grated carrot about 2 minutes until fragrant and carrots are slightly soft. Remove from heat.
-In a large bowl, mash beans with lemon juice. Add in carrot mixture, parsley, bread crumbs, mustard, and season to taste. Refrigerate mixture 1 to 2 hours. Form into patties at least 1/2 in. thick.
-Brush patties with olive oil and bake in a 350* oven for about 35-40 minutes, flipping after 1/2 hour or cook in a skillet with olive oil about 4 minutes.

11 comments:

  1. The bean burgers sound terrific and the sweet potato salad looks equally yummy! That's awesome that you helped your mom with all of that. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those bean burgers sound AMAZING!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are a good daughter and an amazing cook!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love that mini hatchet!

    Way to help out your mom; all the food looks beautiful. The sweet potato salad looks delectable...thanks for that; I see one coming soon to a table near me.

    Can't wait to hear how the kimchi turns out...it's looking really colorful and good so far.

    Oh, and peanuts...definitely classy! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. wow.........it's so great cook list.....sounds very delicious

    ReplyDelete
  6. My mom totally makes that same cornbread. I love that stuff. Daiya actually works wonderfully if you want to veganize it.
    Have you ever been to addictedtoveggies.com ? I love what Sarahfae does with raw food and I applaud her ability to stay inspired.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Those burgers look great! I'm still searching for that "perfect" veggie burger, so I'll have to try your recipe next. Definitely has some potential there!

    ReplyDelete
  8. A mini-hatchet sounds like what you need for eating raw. Did you take it home?

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks, Molly - I figured since she birthed and raised me I owed her one, ya know?

    VAVA, thank you! I'm going to tweak them...I was thinking (since I was making the sweet potato salad at the same time) that shredded or mashed sweet potato would also work well instead of carrot.

    Aw, Lori, thanks. It ain't no thang.

    Rose, she specifically requested the sweet potato salad and seemed pretty happy with how it came out but it's funny because if it weren't a cold dish, it would seem out of season.

    Lacey, yes! I love Sarahfae's website and I love that you do too. She makes some incredible looking stuff...I just never feel like I have the time or ingredients to make her recipes. I should set some time aside and just do it.

    Hannah, you flatter me. These are far from perfect but they were easy and smelled good...Let us know when you attain "perfection."

    Jessica, I left the hatchet (boo) but I did swipe some crossword puzzles.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Sweet potatoes make EVERYTHING better! :D

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh no! I see the little radish's dingdong at the bottom of the jar of kimchi!!!! No!!!!

    ReplyDelete

Leave a message and I'll call you back.