Search This Blog

Thursday, July 7, 2011

Few Surprises

Breakfast: Overnight oats with chia, blueberries, banana, walnuts, coconut flakes, and cinnamon.


We had Napa cabbage, beets, and cucumbers at the Food Pantry, but nowhere near enough. We ran out of vegetables about halfway through, even with a few people shaking their heads at the beets, and the last person to get anything only got two small beets that some jerks rejected after asking for more and a bag full of the greens. "You can eat, them, really! Saute them up and it's just like spinach!" I don't mean to be grouchy about the project. It's wonderful and I'm happy to see so many people excited for the vegetables. It's just frustrating to not be able to give everyone everything they want.
An Amazing Grass bar when I got to work. Because I got to work earlier than usual, I decided to take a lunch, though I usually don't on Thursdays. It was a great lunch, not so much because of the food (it was good enough - salad with extra red cabbage and zucchini, topped with roasted red pepper hummus) but because I ran into a good friend from High School, while eating in the park! I haven't seen her or talked to her in about 4 years and it was really nice to catch up for a short while. (Pertinent also because she has been vegetarian since she was 10!)
Anyway, dinner:


Romaine, tomatoes, olives, white beans, cucumber, red cabbage and I whipped up the Green Goddess Garlic Dressing from AfR to put on top. I made it with garlic scapes instead of chives (yep, still using them up), but it was still really good, if a bit chunky.
For dessert, I actually sort of made the banana "ice cream" that has been making the rounds and it was damn good and cooling on a night like tonight. I chopped up a frozen banana, stirred in some cocoa powder, coconut flakes, and a few chopped walnuts. I will totally be doing that again. No picture, though, 'cause it looked like poop.

How much more of this same damn food can you take from me? Time will only tell.

5 comments:

  1. wow......looks very delicious, but i cant cook this snacks, what a pity!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I keep hearing how great overnight oats are, and there is no excuse to not try it! I like the idea of adding coconut flakes - yum!

    ReplyDelete
  3. If you're worried we might be getting bored, throw up a photo of the banana cream and have us guess what it is.

    I keep meaning to get back into overnight oats now that it's hot, but I only remember when I see your post, so feel free to keep it up for me.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Gucci, I can't cook this snacks either.

    Jesse, you've got to do it! "Set it and forget it" and in the morning, you've got breakfast.

    Jessica, you asked for it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I can totally take the same damn food in the same damn bowl as long as you can dish it out. Bring it!

    ReplyDelete

Leave a message and I'll call you back.