Search This Blog

Loading...

Saturday, June 11, 2011

Why I'm Crazy: A Play in 3 Acts

Scene:
9 PM on a Friday night, about 88 degrees in a just-cleaned Brooklyn, NY apartment

G: [Smacks lips] "What do I have to do to get you to bake something?"
M: "Why! What do you want me to bake? I was thinking of baking something!"

M goes to kitchen, sits on floor browsing cookbooks for 15 minutes. Re-enters living room.

M: [Glumly] I'm not baking anything. It's too hot and I just cleaned the kitchen for the night.
G: [Sighs] Okay.
M: I MEAN UNLESS YOU REALLY WANT ME TO! What do you want me to bake?? SHOULD I MAKE COOKIES? Okay, on a scale of 1 to 10, how much do you want cookies?
G: 10.

Cut to M, in kitchen, sweating, stirring, possibly swearing and saving preheating the oven for the last possible minute.

*Ding!*


Lemon-Poppyseed cookies from Kelly Peloza's The Vegan Cookie Connoisseur. G had about 3 last night and I brought the rest in to work. They were gone by the end of the day, so I guess they were good. I enjoy baking but really try not to eat so much sugar so I only had half of one. Recommended by proxy.

And Scene.

7 comments:

  1. Nice choice, those cookies look wonderful... I really must bake from that cookbook more!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yum! They look great!! Was it worth turning the oven on in the heat? ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hannah, your book was the other one I was looking at. I was eyeing the kumquat scones but alas I didn't exactly have any on hand...I also want to make the poppyseed coffee cake but didn't have any instant coffee. However, soon I will - I obviously have the poppyseeds at least!

    VAVA, it was a little uncomfortable but honestly not too bad. A drink helped cool me off anyway :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. You should consider teaching G how to bake something. (But only if cleaning up is part of the deal.) :) The cookies do look tempting.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Food is love, no matter how sweaty it is.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Cute post! Love the play. Baking in 88 degrees is indeed love.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ha ha--awesome! Sometimes you just gotta do what you gotta do to get cookies!

    ReplyDelete

Leave a message and I'll call you back.