Search This Blog

Loading...

Saturday, June 25, 2011

Taste the Rainbow (and a recipe)

As vegans and healthy eaters in general, I'm sure most of you are aware of the concept of "eating the rainbow," meaning eating foods of varied colors every day to get the widest spectrum of nutrients and vitamins. The new dietary guidelines passed back in March specifically mention this as a "good indicator of nutritional value." I'd like to think I usually abide by that.
However, in honor of last night's exciting news that New York passed the gay marriage bill (!!) I tried particularly hard to incorporate some rainbow eats (It's Pride Weekend here too.)
Breakfast was green:


Smoothie with spinach, frozen mango, banana, ice, 1 date, kiwi, coconut flakes, lemon juice, powdered ginger, and ground flax seed. This made two glasses about this size so I was full until lunch, save snacking on a couple of blackberries. Which I'm going to count as indigo.
Lunch was more Non-Greg Salad, which covered my green, red, and violet.
Dinner picked up the rest of the slack with a crudite plate with sundried tomato hummus: (orange, green, red)


As for yellow and the violet, which I thought I could have used more of, I made a red cabbage and corn slaw-salad.


I'm not a huge fan of cooked corn, mostly because of its sugar and starch content, but when eaten raw, not only is is delicious, it's counted as a vegetable. This salad is tangy, crunchy, and creamy due to the inclusion avocado. Basically, this salad is awesome.

Raw Red Cabbage and Corn Salad (serves 3 as a side)
1 ear of corn
1 1/2 c. shredded red cabbage
1/4 c. diced onion
1/2 avocado
2 TBS chopped cilantro
1 tsp Dijon mustard
1 tsp apple cider vinegar
1/2 tsp agave syrup
salt

-Grate or scrape the kernels off of corn into a large bowl.
-Add red cabbage and onion.
-Add avocado and mix until creamy and blended.
-Add cilantro, mustard, vinegar, and agave.
-Taste for seasonings and add salt if necessary.

Serve as a side at a casual summer gay wedding! (Or wherever.) Happy Pride, and happy thoughts with my lovely fellow queers etc. Other states, where you at? Get with it.

13 comments:

  1. Yay, New York! And I love the looks of that hummus plate. The more colors on my plate, the happier I am.

    ReplyDelete
  2. ooh, that salad does look awesome! I don't think I got any yellow today. Does frosting count?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, I forgot to reply to your question about the daikon! I've had it roasted and in soups and the nishime, of course. It can be a bit bitter (not in the nishime, though, so maybe slow cooking in water and a little soy sauce is the best way), but otherwise it is pretty mild. It has a lot of water so it gets pretty soft when cooked. I bet you could shred it up and eat it raw, too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hats off to NY! Your food always strikes me as particularly vibrant and colorful. I think you've got the rainbow well covered!

    ReplyDelete
  5. NY is awesome!!! I was so happy to hear the bill passed, and hope it will start a trend! Your food is always rainbowfull. Happy Sunday Maud!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Is Greg ever coming back? Does anyone know where he is?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks, guys. Hooray NY and Happy Sunday to all indeed.
    Dianne, frosting definitely counts.
    Shen, Greg is home, safe and sound. He even had some of my salad today. I will let him know you inquired.

    ReplyDelete
  8. thanks for your share, it looks very delicious ^ ^

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh, how funny that "taste the rainbow" and "eating the rainbow" bring up two completely different thoughts. I do love skittles, though.

    I'll have to try kiwi in a smoothie.

    ReplyDelete
  10. For the longest time, I thought I was the only person who loved corn raw. Since i started eating it raw, I've gotten really spoiled and I don't like it cooked anymore. I mean, it's okay but nothing compares to the raw stuff :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Ooooh what a lovely and colorful day! ANd yay for NY! Makes me proud to live here :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Jessica, I recently heard Skittles were vegan? Or they're making vegan ones? Do you know anything about that?

    Lacey, I think we're definitely in the minority on the corn but it is really good.

    VAVA, me too :)

    ReplyDelete

Leave a message and I'll call you back.