Search This Blog

Loading...

Monday, May 9, 2011

Cookbook Club 3.1: Lemon-Cranberry Muffins

I'm taking part in Lindsay's Cookbook Club again for this round's book - the loverly Vegan Yum Yum - but have been seriously slacking after having bookmarked about 12 recipes to attempt. I'm gonna give myself a "It's OK, We Love You Anyway" pass on that, though, because it seems like most people who wanted to participate have let it slip a little too. How come you guys didn't remind me?? Ah, it's ok. I love you anyway.
My eats were pretty typical today: Blueberry smoothie, collard wraps, salad.


I also snacked on the last of Happy Herbivore's nacho cheese with some sourdough pretzel pieces but the photo borders on obscene. Gwoss. But I assume you're here for the dessert: Lauren Ulm's Lemon-Cranberry Muffins.


These were easy to whip up with things I usually have in my pantry/fridge: dried cranberries and lemons. The dried cranberries are plumped up a little bit by being simmered with water and then drained before being added to the dough, which I thought was a little funny: usually you either use fresh (frozen) cranberries if you don't want the dried cranberry texture. She includes almond extract, as well as suggests using almond milk (I used rice milk instead), which also gave a subtle almond flavor to the muffins. I may actually have preferred for the lemon flavor to shine through a bit more, but I usually find almond flavoring a bit overpowering. Maybe it's just me. They cooked up in the exact amount of time she said they would and were perfect with a crunchy top and a nice crumbly, moist inside. It almost felt as if there were a bit of cornmeal in the mix (there wasn't but it probably wouldn't be bad)
I'm a big muffin fan and would probably make these again, maybe cutting back on the oil a bit, using less almond extract, less sugar, and more lemon - or at least fresh cranberries to both skip the sort of extra step and to add a bit more tang.

5 comments:

  1. LOVE that combo of ingredients for muffins!! YUM!

    New to your blog; happy I found you!

    Mary xo
    Delightful Bitefuls

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love muffins, but don't often make enough vegan versions. I will have to keep this combination in my mind.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like the way you have the 3 small pictures as your first pic!

    The muffins sound and look wonderful! I've been stting here thinking (as I work & blog) about what kind of muffin I'm going to make next. :o)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Mary, they were pretty good. Thanks for stopping by. I'll check out your blog tonight!

    Mangocheeks, I love your name as much as you must love muffins!(or mangos?) They are probably my favorite baked good to make.

    Michelle, haha, thanks! I was proud of myself at first but it's a little tiny. Oh well. Can't wait to see what you bake!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I didn't come here for the dessert. Muffins aren't my idea of dessert anyway.

    ReplyDelete

Leave a message and I'll call you back.