Search This Blog

Loading...

Monday, May 23, 2011

Birthday Dinner Party

Yesterday was Greg's brother's 18th birthday so we invited him and the rest of the family over to smoke a lot of cigarettes and vote on which one tasted the grossest. Aaactually, we made dinner.
We had crudites and pita chips out with hummus when they arrived and then served two types of stuffed mushrooms:


Half are made with pesto and half with a lentil/fennel/almond mixture. It was sort of an adaptation from the Moosewood Restaurant Cooking for Health cookbook. I think that filling was actually better on its own than in the mushrooms but oh well. If any of you are interested in the tweaked recipe, let me know and I'll post it.
Greg made a salad and then we served White Bean and Escarole soup from Mollie Katzen's Enchanted Broccoli Forest.


The only tweak in this was that I used leek instead of onion and 2 c. broth instead of all 6 c. water.
The main course was spinach lasagna, which G actually assembled and everyone liked a lot. It was the recipe from The Vegan Table by Colleen Patrick-Goudreau, which we've made numerous times and always enjoy.


We had a digestive game of Scrabble and brought out the desserts. I made Kitchen Sink biscotti from VCIYCJ with chocolate chips, dried cranberries, and almonds.


I didn't actually get to taste them because I was eating the two other desserts that G's sister-in-law (via his OTHER brother) made: Chocolate-Chocolate Chip cake (as per the birthday boy's request) and sugar-free peanut butter filled cupcakes for G's dad, who is diabetic.
Some good food and a really nice night. Happy Birthday, Ben.

11 comments:

  1. I'm not gonna lie, everything looks amazing but that lasagna and biscotti are seriously making me drool! I'm so jealous!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks like a successful party, M!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Everything looks delicious - you put on a great party!

    ReplyDelete
  4. what a great dinner! i'm dying for some of those stuffed mushrooms with pesto. yum!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Aww, happy birthday, Ben!

    Looks like it was a great party!! All of the food looks delicious, especially the soup!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sounds like a delicious celebration. I've never made stuffed mushrooms, but I really have to try them, yours look tasty, especially the fennel, almond, lentil mix.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow...what an awesome birthday party for Ben! Those stuffed shrooms sound delicious, which makes me think that I need to make some soon. :o) Actualy everything sounds great! You guys hooked the b-day boy up!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Where are the strippers and beer???? Is this Ben's 18th or 8th birthday?

    ReplyDelete
  9. This was the family party, Shen!

    Happy birthday! Looks like everyone was into the great vegan foods!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks, everyone. I think my favorite was the soup course. I forgot to mention that G's older brother and his wife are vegan also and his mother cooks primarily vegetarian, so everybody was totally open to the food.

    Shen, Jessica's right - the after party is still to come but beer isn't legal till he's 21, DUH. And we totally follow rules in this house.

    ReplyDelete

Leave a message and I'll call you back.