Search This Blog

Loading...

Tuesday, May 10, 2011

Anti-Allergy Salad

Saladgeries? Sallergies? Seasonal Allergies? Slurring yr words due to allergy medication? Well I'm not. I mumble all the time, regardless. I also hate taking medicine if I don't have have have to and would much rather rely on the bounties of nature - and eat while I'm at it, because that's my favorite thing to do.
I borrowed the Everything Easy Cleanse Book from work the other day and have been going through it a bit. It is divided into chapters of cleanses with various aims (a cleanse for healthy skin, a cleanse for better digestion, etc.) and I focused first on the cleanse for better respiration.
As a kid I had bad hay fever and allergies (as well as an severe case of weird) but they haven't been so bad in recent years. However, I heard that this is one of the worst allergy seasons in a long time and I can feel it. My symptoms are mostly wheezing and coughing. Here are a few tips I picked up from the book that might help if you're affected similarly. My eyes have been itchy too, but I've just taken to rubbing them angrily to help in that department.*

-Citrus fruits contain liminoids, which protect lung tissue and reduce mucus build-up
-The omega 3 oils in walnuts (and flax seeds and soy beans) inhibit chemicals that trigger airway restriction
-Magnesium improves overall lung function
-The caspaicin in hot peppers is a natural decongestant and expectorant
-Certain compounds found in thyme and oregano have been found to loosen phlegm and soothe bronchial spasms.
-Raw, local honey may help with allergies because it contains the local pollen and helps your immunity.

I came up with a cooling chopped salad that incorporates some of these tips:

Anti-Allergy Salad
(that is, unless, you're allergic to any of the ingredients) (that's Greg's joke)
serves 4 as a side

1 small yellow squash, chopped
1/2 de-seeded cucumber, chopped
1 1/2 c frozen and thawed lima beans
1/4 c raw sunflower seeds
juice from one lemon
1 TBS honey (or agave)
2 tsp oregano
1 tsp crumbled dried thyme
dash cayenne pepper

-Mix all your vegetables together.
-Throw in sunflower seeds, lemon, honey, and spices. Let sit to marinate or eat immediately!


This was pretty tasty, but only as good as its components! Use this as an excuse to support yr local farmer's markets. Organic and fresh as possible mean the nutrients in these raw veg are at their peak. This is high in fiber, protein, and magnesium and the lemon and herbs give it a nice kick. Sub edamame for the limas if you want and I bet a bit of chopped garlic would be nice in here too (garlic also may help prevent respiratory ailments - but it's all around good for you)

*Oh, and not to insult yr intelligence or anything, but I'm not a doctor. You guys know that, right? I'm a kid who works in a bookstore and reads a lot of nutrition books. I'm not diagnosing or pretending to cure anything here, but hey, at the very least, you get a tasty salad.

8 comments:

  1. Raw onions are also good for the nasal passages =) and you know, keeping away vampires.

    2 birds, one stone.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like a pretty interesting book. And that salad sure looks better than allergy meds.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a great idea! My allergies went down a lot when I moved to the city, but this year they've been acting up more for some reason and I've run out of my raw local honey.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Local honey does help...bee pollen is better, but I only do the honey now. I also use my neti pot and believe it or not...that has really helped mine.
    The salad does sound very good....doc. :o)

    ReplyDelete
  5. " (as well as an severe case of weird) "

    ahahahaha me too:) that was so funny. i loved reading all those tips!!im hesitant to say it, but since i started to eat cleaner...i havent had any allergy problems that i normally have when the weather changes.

    ReplyDelete
  6. So you work in a book store and you're allowed to 'borrow' books? That sounds like a library.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Aimee, I agree!

    Thanks, Sinead. I was thinking onions would be good added into this.

    Jessica, yeah, I'm thinking of making up more recipes based on other cleanse chapters. These "Everything Easy ___" books are sort of like the "Idiots" or "For Dummies" books in that they're kind of simplistic and a little lame but sometimes that's all you really want.

    Dianne, yeah, mine have gotten better over the years just getting older too but it's been super sneezy lately.

    Michelle, I've never had bee pollen...and I'm not sure I would...but what is it like??

    Michelle (dd) I agree - clean eating in general really does help a lot but hey, any excuse to eat lima beans and summer squash ;)

    ReplyDelete

Leave a message and I'll call you back.