Search This Blog

Loading...

Thursday, April 14, 2011

Making Me Make Meals

Sometimes after a frustrating day at work, it's nice to come home to a meal already made. But sometimes you come home hungry to dishes in the sink and someone who stayed home all day asking what's for dinner.
At times like that, you can really only open a your pantry and starting chopping as quickly as possible. And maybe eat a few dried apricots and crackers in the meantime. Remembering a can of artichoke hearts I had bought for no reason last week and recalling a recipe G and I had considered for a dinner party a while back, I pulled Lauren Ulm's Vegan Yum Yum off the shelves to make Golden Chickpea and Artichoke Salad. You can actually find the recipe online here.
Yes, I did have to back outside to buy chickpeas and use up the rest of my greens, but I appreciate that G knows what he likes and what will taste good. He suggested adding a grain (quinoa) and greens (kale and spinach) to the dish to make it a little heartier and healthier, but otherwise I stuck almost exactly to the recipe, only not toasting and grinding the almond slivers but leaving them whole and subbing cilantro for parsley because that's all we have (from a pot! Outside! Growing and live!).


This is our finished product. And it was damn tasty. The almonds were a nice crunch and artichokes are delicious, although I rarely buy them. The meal was put together fairly quickly and it's not like I had any real plans for dinner anyway, so thanks, G. I didn't blog yesterday because I just eat the same thing all the time and it gets tedious to post. But this, THIS! Try it!
G, thank you for forcing me outside of the usual, gripe though I might. I needed to buy more groceries anyway and it's good to use my cookbooks, too. Let's do this more often.

9 comments:

  1. That salad is going on our menu for next week. It looks great! I love that you added quinoa, too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, man! I LOVE that dish! Vegan Yum Yum is the BEST. Your modifications sound great.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Maud. I love artichokes. Looks super good!

    ReplyDelete
  4. ..."come home hungry to dishes in the sink and someone who stayed home all day asking what's for dinner"...I know that feeling!

    Your salad sounds great!

    ReplyDelete
  5. The only thing that would have made this better would have been if G had had it ready for you when you walked in! Tell him I said so.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I second what rose said...lol

    I haven't tried artichokes in YEARS, because I never liked them. But, you have inspired me to give them another shot. I like that you added the kale and spinach. I'll have to give the recipe a try. I'll be sure to let you know what I thought. :o)

    ReplyDelete
  7. You want my cookbook and I want yours! Vegan Yum Yum has been on my wishlist for too long. Adding quinoa to the dish was a brilliant idea, you can never go wrong with quinoa!

    PS: Isn't my Monk mug awesome? <3

    ReplyDelete
  8. Methinks if G likes it then he should put a ring on it. Otherwise: Outenzie!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh yeah, Molly, do it!

    Jess - any other recommendations?? I'm stoked.

    Thanks, Aimee. I intend to eat them more often after this.

    Rose, I shouldn't be too hard on him...he was busy. Thanks, though. It was really tasty.

    Hehe, Blessed Mama, it was less that it wasn't made but rather that I had to make it. Oh well. I should stop griping since I reaped the benefits too.

    Michelle, they're delicious. You should add artichokes to everything!

    River, I know. I've had quinoa two days in a row already and going strong! And YES I want that cup!

    Shen, haha, you run a tight ship, huh?

    ReplyDelete

Leave a message and I'll call you back.