Search This Blog

Loading...

Friday, April 15, 2011

Lots of Everyone's Favorite Legume

You, as vegans, don't need me, as a vegan, to tell you vegans the wonders of the chickpea. That would be preaching to the choir. They're great. Instead, I'll show you my super chickpea day:


Lunch leftovers from last night's VYY Golden Chickpea and Artichoke Salad, with baby tomatoes. (I just found out that Vegan Yum Yum is next at the plate for Lindsay's cookbook club and I am quite excited. Get yr copies on reserve now - it starts in two days!)


Roasted chickpeas: tossed with olive oil, coriander, cayenne pepper, and curry powder. Roasted in a 400* oven until crispy. So good! These added a nice flavor and texture when thrown on top of a (very beety) salad:


All hail ye, mighty chickpea.
One other thing I loved today was fresh-pressed juice from Liquiteria: All Greens (romaine, kale, spinach, celery, cucumber, parsely) with apple, lemon, and ginger. Oh MAN! That place is great. I'm doing a raw into liquid fast next week in preparation for Easter and I am STOKED if it means Liquiteria everyday.

11 comments:

  1. I had a similar salad with spinach and beets this evening, for dinner!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I lurve chickpeas! You're right about them being a fav. I also love VYY, and I wish she still posted.

    I've been eating lots of chickpeas lately too.

    Your raw into liquid fast sounds like a wonderful way to prepare for Easter. Good for you! I wish I had that will power, but I'm sure once you do it, it feels so great, you'd hardly need will power.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Those tomatoes look like jelly beans. Just in time for Easter. God is not impressed by Vegans...

    ReplyDelete
  4. roasted chickpeas does sound pretty good! i want to try that.loved the intro to this post by the way, made me smile:)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love a whole day of chickpeas! This inspires me to get a pot of chickpeas going in the slow cooker!

    ReplyDelete
  6. It's true, even people who claim to not really like beans seem to love chickpeas. And roasted? Who could resist! I usually just munch on them plain when roasted, but it's a great idea to toss them into salads, too. I'll have to try that next time I toast up a bunch.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Mega disappointment. I saw the title and was hoping for lots of lentils. Oh well, at least the Tomatoes look like Jelly Beans.

    (Pretty cool that you have a commenter that can speak for God!)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Aimee, beets are such a great addition to salads, aren't they?

    Rose, thanks for the support. I hope it'll be a good week. And I think VYY was one of the first vegan blogs I started reading, I wish she still posted too, but at least we have the book. Do you have a favorite recipe?

    Russ, I think God likes us alright when we've got delicious cruelty-free tomatoes in our Easter baskets...

    Michelle, how is your raw thing going? Have you ever tried sprouting chickpeas? I want to!

    Jessica, I know! I need to get more!

    Hannah, I love how adaptable they are to spices especially. I had mine straight today because they get a little soggy in salads if they're not straight out of the oven.

    Shen, always the black sheep. Lentils are next on my list, though.

    ReplyDelete
  9. The roasted chickpeas sound so good. And so does the salad with the chickpeas on top.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Roasted chickpeas rock and so do your salads! :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thanks Andrea, it was a nice mix! I love how much you can do to them.

    Michelle, Thank you :)

    ReplyDelete

Leave a message and I'll call you back.