Search This Blog

Loading...

Tuesday, April 12, 2011

Kale Storm

My sister called me yesterday just to chat (which I'm not so good at - sorry, Liz) but mentioned that she reads the blog sometimes and commented, "Yo - you eat so much kale!" I don't really feel like I eat it all that often. I love it, of course, but spinach is more ubiquitous and is cheaper and is therefore generally my green of choice. But today I was looking at my food, and I guess I do eat a lot of kale. Because it's a bit tougher than spinach, a little goes a long way but it also goes bad pretty quickly so when it's around, I try to incorporate it into meals as much as possible, for sure.
Breakfast was greens-less though:


Raw, soaked steel-cut oats, banana slices, walnuts, and a few dried apricots.


Lunch was a huuuge salad of kale, spinach, red bell pepper, broccoli, zucchini, and carrots topped with some homemade sundried tomato hummus, lemon juice, a little olive oil, salt and pepper.


And dinner: red quinoa with some leftover lunch salad (told you it was huge! I couldn't even finish it!) and sauteed broccolini with tomatoes cooked in shallot, garlic, lemon juice, and balsamic vinegar over more kale and zucchini. Oof. Honestly, it might have been too much but now I have delicious leftovers for tomorrow's lunch.

What is your favorite way to eat the good greens?

10 comments:

  1. Your salads always look so healthy and delicious. I have to say, I think salad is my fav way to eat greens, but my hubby likes them cooked.

    I know what you mean about phone chatting; it's never been my thing either.

    ReplyDelete
  2. "... just to chat (which I'm not so good at...."(phone chatting)

    omgosh neither am i!! i either totally monopolize the convo or stutter or just plain panic on the phone.

    you are really good about eating raw veggies.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I rarely have a problem with kale going bad after I get it. Or maybe I'm just not noticing it? Yikes.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am so bad at talking on the phone. I much prefer in person or via email.

    Also, LOVE kale. LOVE IT. I made kale chips the other night and proceeded to eat them all (it was an entire huge head of kale!)

    xo

    ReplyDelete
  5. I need to try the soaked steel-cut oats. Did you soak yours in water or nut milk?

    Kale...I love it too. I have been without for about 4 days now and am about to go crazy. I will be going grocery shopping tonight. :o)

    I don't think I have a favorite way to eat greens....anyway is good for me! I do love them in smoothies though.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Kale chips if I had time all of the time, which I don't. Caesar dresing on romaine. Then next, stir fried kale with fresh garlic, lemon juice, and Bragg's.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your poor sister must've really felt like a rejected POS after you hung up. Wonder if she'll ever call again.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Rose, I think I like them raw better too - but at least your husband eats them!

    Michelle, haha, yeah I mostly just say a lot of "Sooo....(trying to get off the phone)" and "Uh-huh, uh-huh (not listening at all)" and desperately hold the phone as far from my head as possible so as to not get brain cancer.

    Dianne, it doesn't go bad really so much as just get wilty and really tough. I'm sure yours is fine!

    LS, kale chips are most certainly da bomb.

    Michelle, I soaked mine in water overnight, but nut milks are great too. They tend to add more flavor (obviously). And you totally inspired me to start putting kale in my smoothies! Isn't it great how we start craving greens??

    Jenny, would you believe I haven't tried any vegan Caesar dressing? I've got to!

    Shen, hahah, she should know better by now! It's sweet of her to try, but I'm a lost cause on the phone.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hey, nothing wrong with kale! I like mine in stir-fries and torn into small pieces in miso soup. Of course, kale chips are always a tasty snack, too.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh yes! Kale is the best in soups! I love how chewy it gets.

    ReplyDelete

Leave a message and I'll call you back.