Search This Blog

Loading...

Sunday, April 24, 2011

Easter

Happy Easter! The day was beautiful this morning. Clear and bright and fresh and I was up early and went to church. The Mass was very nice. I got home and made a smoothie and got to work making one last dish for today. Most of it I made last night, including zucchini bread for G's family - not made by him contrary to what his facebook status updates would lead one to believe.
My contributions for Easter:
Asparagus and Carrots in Walnut-Miso Dressing from Color Me Vegan by Colleen-Patrick Goudreau.


Wild Rice Salad from the upcoming cookbook by Dynise Balcavage


and Sesame Seed Cookies, also from the same upcoming cookbook.


The Wild Rice salad was a hit and even though I burned the cookies a little, I think people liked those too. I bring dishes to be sure I'll have something to eat but it's always unnecessary. My talented, kind, and very aware aunt set aside "untouched by meat potatoes," there was also an awesome roasted vegetable ragout, grilled turnip and squash, and steamed green beans. The salad had bleu cheese in it, so I didn't eat that but I was pleased at least that they told me, and there was also some sort of British fish pie (my aunt and uncle just coming home from a vacation to England) that I obviously didn't eat. More than enough, and all delicious!
My family is wonderful, if a little crazy. They are also far too smart for me. I did a lot of listening and some of it went over my head but I think for tonight, I'll take away the mental image of my mother as a kid pumping her little arms and legs, running down the street after a streetsweeper for fun on weekends. I'm pretty sure children in the 50s with 5 brothers and a sister had plenty of entertainment but my mother chose to run after streetsweepers.
I didn't drink much (one glass of champagne) but I did eat about four of these little chocolate bars from Trader Joe's.


I hope everyone had a great day, however you celebrated your Sunday.

6 comments:

  1. Happy Easter! those chocolate bars are cute!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's a pretty cool story about your Mom chasing the street sweeper.

    Were those Chocolate Bars in your Easter basket?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy "late" Easter. :o) That wild rice salad looks great!
    Funny story of your mom chasing the street sweeper for fun. :o)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Happy belated Easter...glad you had a good day! The carrot asparagus salad sounds like a great combo, and that wild rice dish is stunning. Glad to hear there were plenty of vegan-friendly eats too! Our house was a bit the same...with lots of sides, it was almost like Thanksgiving.

    Chasing street sweepers eh? We used to chase the ice cream truck...maybe the street sweeper is just as fun...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Happy Easter, Maud.
    Walnut-Miso dressing sounds great. Thanks for the idea!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Michelle, they are! Cute means I can eat five million, right?

    Shen, I didn't get an Easter basket! I had to buy these for myself. Bad idea. Now I have a belly ache.

    Michelle, it was really good. My mom even asked for the recipe!

    Rose, chasing an ice cream truck at least yields a reward! I think my mom just ended up with a dusty face!

    Aimee, it's good but a little salty...I'd like to see your take on it.

    ReplyDelete

Leave a message and I'll call you back.