Search This Blog

Loading...

Monday, March 28, 2011

Mostly Raw Monday

Guys, I have a confession. Mondays are supposed to be raw for me during Lent but last week I totally bombed. I made it until about 4 in the afternoon and couldn't handle it anymore - I needed a snack and we didn't have many vegetables in the fridge. If I've learned anything about eating raw, you have to be prepared. I didn't make that mistake again this week, though there were still a few slip-ups.
Breakfast was another super green tropical smoothie:


Spinach, mango, 1 frozen banana, water to blend, and a squeeze of lemon juice. Coconut flakes on top.
I snacked on some dried apricots, then went to my parents' house to borrow their car to run some errands, but my brother was home so he drove me around! Nice. Thanks, Billy. I got cat food, some workout clothes (because I MUST get off my butt sometime soon) picked up some mail, AND! a package that I had! A while back, and I mean a WHILE, I won a CSN Stores giveaway from the very kind Carissa. I took a long time deliberating on what to buy buy eventually picked...a spiralizer!


This is going to be really fun. Raw noodles shall abound! Does anyone have one of these? Any tips or ideas?
Anyway, my brother dropped me at home and we hung out for a short bit, then I broke in my workout clothes with some yoga and leg exercises but mostly I couldn't wait for lunch.
Yesterday I prepared some raw "No Tuna" from Jennifer Cornbleet's Raw Food Made Easy, which Michelle at Lovin Livin Vegan also recently purchased, and has inspired me to start making things from as well!


It's made with soaked sunflower seeds and almonds, blended up, and mixed with celery, onion, parsley, and lemon juice. I added a few crumbles of nori seaweed for a fishier taste. Served over romaine shreds for true diner-style dining. It was delicious. Michelle, I can't wait to see what you make and think of the recipes!
I served this with a salad on the side. Freshhh.


This held me over for a surprisingly long time, but when I started thinking about dinner I realized we didn't have many vegetables in the house. We seriously go through them so quickly, but that's a good thing. I walked to the store and picked up some things to make a kale salad.


I let the kale marinate in lemon juice, olive oil, sea salt, black pepper, apple cider vinegar, and agave and when Greg got home, thew in some mashed avocado, tomatoes, and red pepper. I ate it alongside more red pepper and carrot sticks, plusss the homemade hummus (plain flavor this time) mixed with some harissa.
So, the hummus wasn't raw, and I tried a few pieces off some bread my brother was eating without even really thinking about it (it was mad good though - 3 Seed bread from Trader Joe's with poppy seeds, sesame seeds, and fennel seeds! I'd love to try to bake something like it). I also had a small handful of chocolate chips during the day because I'm addicted. Other than that, I did alright. Oh wait. I also baked biscuits after dinner. Oops, duh. More on that tomorrow.
I'll keep trying with the raw.

9 comments:

  1. I am so happy that you got the spiralizer with your gift card! I have one too and I love it! I mostly use it for zuchinni noodles. It's also great for carrots, cucumbers, squash....I am excited to see what you do with yours!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That "tuna" salad looks amazing. Both you and Michelle at Livin Lovin Vegan inspired me to get the cookbook. But, I reserved it at the library first to make sure I will like it, can't wait to get it. Your pictures are making me hungry to try some different raw recipes!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You're just having the best vacation ever!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nice looking food! I'm so jealous of your spiralizer, I've wanted one for a while.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sounds like a fun day! I can't wait to see what you do with the spiralizer! I like the look of those sweet potato spirals in the picture.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I almost had your smoothie this morning. I used kale instead of spinach though...ha
    I am so jealous of that spiralizer. I don't have one, but I really want one. I can't wait to see what you make with it.
    I'm wanting to make Jennifer'S "No Tuna" also. It sounded really good. Yours looks great!
    Sounds to me like you had a really good day! I'm with ya on the chocolate chips...I sure wish you hadn't mentioned those...Thank goodness I don't have any at my desk.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Everything looks excellent. I am traveling and NOT eating as well as I'd like to. Just trying not to gain too much weight!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Carissa, thank you again for doing the giveaway in the first place! I'm definitely excited to work with it a lot.

    Vegan Mom, I hope you enjoy the cookbook too. I definitely recommend the no-tuna.

    Shen, your sarcasm really comes across online.

    Dianne, I've been wanting one for a long time too. I was lucky that this was basically free but you can get one for pretty cheap online - 35 bucks or so.

    Rose, I totally want to make curly fries out of those sweet potatoes spirals!

    Michelle, you are more hardcore than I. You can handle the no chocolate chips if you can handle kale smoothies.

    Aimee, thanks and happy traveling! You should enjoy yourself and not worry too much about the weight, but find good things to eat that make you happy :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm so happy for you that you won and got a spiralizer. I love mine. Great choice. Did I already say I like your new blog look? I'm pretty sure I did, but I've been absent from the computer so long, maybe I didn't? OR maybe I even asked you if I already said I liked it, then said if not then I'll say it again. In which this would technically be the third time I'm saying it. But I don't have time to go back and look through old comments tonight, so I'll just say things are lookin' good around here. Keep up the good work

    ReplyDelete

Leave a message and I'll call you back.