Search This Blog

Loading...

Sunday, March 20, 2011

Mexican Lunch Leftovers, Aisan AfR Dinner

Greg and I went to our friend's show last night so we stopped and got some food (and some beers too! First since last Wednesday!) after a bit of a trouble deciding where to go. I never eat out, so it's a little hard for me to deal with it, but we stumbled on a really good Mexican place - Taco Chulo. I got the Santa Cruz burrito, which is specifically marked as vegan on the menu, and came with spinach, black beans, pico de gallo, avocado, radishes, lettuce, a choice of potatoes or rice (I got the potatoes), and tofu sour cream. It was a little pricey, but it was really delicious and huuuge. I shared some with G and still had some leftover to take home.
I had the piece for lunch today with leftover steamed vegetables from a few nights ago, and ended up putting some of them in the burrito as well.


It was nice to have leftovers around because I was in the midst of preparing an early dinner of the last two Cookbook Club recipes from Appetite for Reduction (at least within the designated time frame - I'm going to skip the next cookbook, Skinny Bitch, and continue making more from AfR.)
Anyway, we had two Asian-themed dishes: Apple-Miso Tofu and Orange-Scented Broccoli. I picked these two because I had the major ingredients already (tofu, miso, broccoli, spices...) and just went for a quick stop at the grocery store after church.

This was a really good meal. Most of the time I just have completely random dishes that I'll put on my plate together and call it "dinner." Here, I followed Isa's recommendation to pair these two dishes and they complemented each other really nicely. The miso tofu on its own was a bit salty for me but fine when I piled on the apples, and the orangey broccoli was just a subtle bit of sweetness that it also went well with the tofu.
Two notes: 1 - I didn't have any sesame oil. I used canola oil. I'm sure sesame would have made this even better. Oddly enough, there must be a typo in the book because though sesame oil is listed in the ingredients, it's left out of the directions. I assume it gets mixed into the marinade. 2 - I also didn't have mirin and I'm not 100% sure what it's like but I subbed apple juice (a tip I learned in V'con). This could have changed the saltiness of recipe.

7 comments:

  1. What has happened? Everything moved to the other side of the blog. I see a bus.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like the new look. I totally know what you mean about meals vs. throwing things together, too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's great that you got such a great meal by stumbling, which can be really and miss.

    The apple miso tofu and orange broccoli does sound like great combo; it's got the apples and oranges thing going on. The tofu looks so nice and brown, really enticing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Keyword = great. lol, sorry for being vocabulary-challenged. :D

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love what you did with your leftover burrito...sounds great with those steamed veggies!
    That AFR dinner sure does look yummy!
    BTW...I like the new blog look!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks, everyone for commenting on the new look: it's totally Greg's influence. He even made the new banner for me!

    Shen, I have no idea what you're talking about. Again.

    Thanks, Dianne. This was totally a MEAL: both dishes even used the same amount of ginger and garlic! It was meant to be!

    Rose, I was thinking that too - It's funny that two fruits are featured in each dish.

    VB, highly recommended. Let me know if you use mirin! What is the deal??

    Michelle, the steamed veg were the perfect accompaniment..sometimes just a plain burrito is too much for me.

    ReplyDelete

Leave a message and I'll call you back.