Search This Blog

Loading...

Monday, March 14, 2011

It's Alive!

Breakfast smoothie: TJ Green Powder, frozen blueberries, spinach, frozen banana, water to blend. Coffee with rice milk.


I did laundry and snacked on some raw almonds and an apple from the Farmer's Market, which is finally looking lively again.
Lunch was collard wraps: Green beans, carrot, tomato, olives topped with tahini. On the side were more veggies with a harissa/tahini blend for dipping.


I read, ran a few errands, and picked up a Cranberry-Orange Pure bar.

Raw-Vegan-Gluten free. Have you guys ever hand these? I think they just came out with a bunch of new flavors. I'd only previously seen Cherry-Cashew and a Brownie bar but noticed today this flavor, an Apple Cinnamon flavor, and a Blueberry bar. This was okay. It was tasty enough, but a little gooey and sticky for my liking. I probably won't buy it again, especially since it was 2 bucks, but I have a problem with needing to at least taste new vegan products.

Dinner was raw pad thai!
This was an improvised dish, as I've made it before and sort of knew what flavors to go for. This was actually one of the first raw recipes I remember specifically trying to make. Zucchini noodles, shredded carrot, and bean sprouts topped with a sauce. I'm not sure how authentic this really is, but here's what I did:

Raw Pad Thai Sauce, enough for one plate of raw noodles
3 dates, chopped
water to cover dates
2 TBs lemon juice
1 TBs raw almond butter
1 TBs fresh cilantro, chopped
1 clove garlic, minced fine
1 pinch red pepper flakes
1/2 tsp salt

-Soak dates in water until they soften a bit. Drain most of the water out.
-Add lemon juice and almond butter and whip ingredients together well.
-Add in other ingredients, season to taste, and pour or glob (depending on consistency) over noodles.

I found myself wanting the sauce a bit thinner and spicier. But whatever, I just ate it as is. Served along side a red salad - Red leaf lettuce, sliced beets, red pepper, and tomatoes.

More dates for dessert, with unsweetened dried coconut and cocoa powder.

8 comments:

  1. YAY! Raw Pad Thai! I'll make your sauce and let you know what I think!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Now THIS is a good food day. Wish I ate like this.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, so healthy! Good for you. I've tried Pure Bars; I think they're stickier because they have agave in them? It's a nice change from Lara Bars, but I think I like the latter better anyway.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The next time I see some good looking collard in the grocery store, I will be buying them. Your wraps look so darn tasty!
    I've never tried the pure bars? I'm cheap when it comes to paying that much for a bar...ha I only buy them when they are on sale. Kroger has the larabars 10 for $10, which I need to go grap before the sale goes off!
    Your raw Pad Thai sounds and looks great. I will be trying this...for sure! I'm wanting to incorporate more raw foods into my diet and this will be perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  5. You eat so healthy! It all looks good. I love the idea of a raw phad thai.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Aimee, if you do, let me know what you think! I'm still sort of tweaking it.

    Shen, you can dooo eet!

    Dianne, you're probably right - I didn't even notice the agave in the ingredient list! I think I was just so happy to see "raw, vegan, gluten free" I grabbed it. I agree - I like larabars better too but I've seen a few homemade recipes for bars like that that I want to try!

    Michelle, wraps are so versatile - that's what I love about them but DEFINITELY hold out for good collards - a sad wilted wrap is a sad sight. And you are so lucky to get larabars so cheap! Run and get them!

    Rose, I used to love it with noodles but this is just as tasty!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I do think you are one of the healthier vegan bloggers. Raw Pad Thai sounds great, and the very theme-y me loves the idea of "red salad."

    ReplyDelete

Leave a message and I'll call you back.