Search This Blog

Loading...

Sunday, March 27, 2011

Cookbook Club 2.6: Dressing, Yes, Dressing

Since I didn't have work yesterday, I blended up a really good smoothie for breakfast. I know smoothies are quick, but I don't usually drink them on days I have work because I'm usually in too much of a rush to carefully clean around the blender blades, but also I feel a little self-conscious about making that much noise early in the morning. I guess other people are awake and getting ready too, but still.


This one was a really pretty bright green: Spinach, fresh mango, 1/2 a frozen banana, ground flax seed, a few sliced almonds, and water. Since I had leftover mango, I ate it on the side, and topped both with a bit of coconut. Tropical Iceland!
Lunch looks banal but is actually supercool.



It's a quickly whipped up salad and a slice of bread with hummus. To spruce it up a little more than usual I decided to make a real salad dressing out of Appetite for Reduction. I don't usually make dressings from cookbooks because they're so obvious, but hey, I had the ingredients and I wanted to smush in a few more recipes for the Cookbook Club. I made the Balsamic Vinaigrette, which isn't much of a change from the vinaigrette I always make, but has a few extra ingredients that really pull it together. Isa's recipe calls for chopped shallot, balsamic, water, mustard, agave, and raw cashews, for which I subbed raw sunflower seeds. All blended up in a blender. Nothing special, but tasty - and no oil.
And in case you didn't notice - the dressing is in a "dressing jar." Sometimes I buy the most ridiculous novelty kitchen items. This might be the first time I've used that stupid thing.


The hummus is also notable because it's completely homemade! I even bought dried chickpeas and soaked them and then cooked them myself! I'm snapping my non-existent suspenders right now. I made it a sundried tomato flavor, blending the chickpeas up with cooking liquid, a little tahini, garlic, lemon juice, salt, paprika, cayennne, and...sundried tomatoes. It was a bit thicker than the stuff I buy, but that's because I tried to keep the fat down with not much tahini. Some brands even add oil for smoothness, but yuck.

The bread was store-bought because I'm only human.
What flavor of hummus would you make homemade?

6 comments:

  1. Almonds in the Smoothie?! That's a new one.

    ReplyDelete
  2. ooh you cooked your own chickpeas!! go you! you are so sweet to think of other people and the noise a blender makes.

    "I'm snapping my non-existent suspenders right now"
    hahaha

    i dont add as much oil/fat to hummus either, its a little ridiculous what some recipes call or. i loved an olive flavor hummus that i bought a few years ago, and i like roasted red pepper flavor also, thats an easy add in.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great job in cooking dried chickpeas...I did that once...ha I love sun dried tomato hummus...YUM I can't bring myself to buy store bought anymore. Homemade taste so much better.

    That's a great looking salad! I was just thinking today that I needed to make some dressing.

    You're so thoughtful by not wanting to wake any one up with your blender. I crank mine up while Tony is still sleeping every morning. I think his ears are immune to the noise now though. :o)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love the coconut sprinkles on the smoothie! How considerate of you not to run the blender early in the morning.

    Really like the idea of using seeds in the salad dressing. I must try that! Thanks for the info and inspiration.

    As for hummus, I think plain old hummus is my favorite, but also love hummus with sundried tomato pesto, so s/d tomato hummus sounds fab.

    It may sound odd...but if I add anything to hummus other than the basics, it's usually horseradish.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Haha, thanks everyone about the blender comments... I'm not sure anyone cares about the noise, I'm just super awkward about apartment noises!

    Shen, yeah, I used to put almond butter in my smoothies but I wasn't sure if the taste would go well with this mix. I figured sliced almonds themselves would be more delicate.

    Michelle, I love roasted red peppers! I want to make that flavor next.

    Michelle2, homemade is always best, and cheaper! whether it's hummus, dressing, or anything else!

    Rose, if you try the dressing, she suggested soaking the seeds for a while first to make the dressing creamier. I didn't and it still tasted good but it was a bit chunky. Horseradish - I'm sold!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm still eating my pizza hummus and loving it. Next I want to try the green onion-curry hummus.

    ReplyDelete

Leave a message and I'll call you back.