Search This Blog

Loading...

Wednesday, March 16, 2011

Cookbook Club 2.4: Jerk Asparagus

We're drawing to a technical close of Appetite for Reduction over at Lindsay's Cookbook Club funhouse and I've been slacking, what with fasting, raw days, dinner parties, leftovers, appointments etc. (you all know how it is) but tonight I got around to making a recipe that had been on my list since I first flipped through the pages: Jerk Asparagus.
Despite growing up near and living around various Caribbean enclaves in New York, I can't say that I've ever eaten authentic "jerk." Ha. But I did have a feeling I'd like it a lot. I like heat and I like interesting spice combinations, and I like the smell on the streets of Bed-Stuy. Well, some streets. Plus, ever since the asparagus/carrot dish from the dinner party, I'd really been wanting some asparagus.


According to Wikipedia, the prominent spices in jerk are scotch bonnet peppers and allspice. The heat in this version relies on red pepper flakes, which I may have been a bit heavy-handed with, and is blended with allspice, ginger, cinnamon, and a few other spices. Sadly, I was out of the fresh ginger the recipe called for but I did give a good dusting of powdered ginger to the stalks.
As you can see, I ate them alongside collard wraps (tomato, beet, mung bean sprouts, red pepper, and carrot with harissa/tahini), which may not have been the best pairing because there were a lot of flavors in those as well. The asparagus turned out nicely and I'd love to make them again with the fresh ginger, a more subtle side to let the asparagus shine, and with a squeeze of the recommended lime juice. Definitely tasty, and more in the works (plus leftovers in the fridge).

8 comments:

  1. Mmm, I've never had or made a proper "jerk" either, but it definitely sounds like something I'd like too. And, as always, your collard wraps are inspirational.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love asparagus, but I think I would have to leave off the red pepper flakes :o) Lime/lemon juice is yummy on asparagus! I think a collard wrap is going to be on my menu for supper tonight...that or a salad...can't decide yet. :o)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, thanks for the cookbook recommendation. I found it on Amazon. :o)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ooo, that asparagus looks good! I love asparagus and can eat it raw, steamed, blanched, stir-fried, you name it. I bet it was delish.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Rose, thank you :)

    Shen, I guess I deleted the photo of the inside. Just picture a red and green mush.

    Michelle, I love red pepper flakes, but asparagus any way is delicious! Let me know if you end up getting the book!

    Blessed Mama, I love it too. I was wondering if it could be eaten raw - now I know!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love asparagus! I love it grilled, sauteed, boiled and even juiced. I had a very refreshing juice that I made with asparagus, lemons, parsley, cucumber, broccoli and celery tonight. I must try the asparagus with jerk seasoning :-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Elisabeth, I've never heard of juiced asparagus! I've got to try your blend..thanks for the idea.

    ReplyDelete

Leave a message and I'll call you back.