Search This Blog

Loading...

Saturday, March 12, 2011

Ask Me About My Breakfast

What, this ol' thing? Oh, if you insist:

This was a minimal fruit salad with grapefruit segments (not gonna do the g-fruit/kale juice again methinks) and banana with some unsweetened dried coconut on top. With a green juice (green powder, apple juice, water) and some Irish Breakfast tea. Tasty.
Oh, and in the bowl with the fruit is, yes, a cookie for breakfast. G wanted a dessert the other night so I threw a bunch of things in a bowl and made these Almond-Oat cookies. Here's the recipe and you can tell me whether or not I should be ashamed. Most notable in the ingredients is...cardamom! Yes, I finally bought it and I am way more excited than I should be. Anyway, these came out surprisingly well considering I was winging everything. The almond meal and coconut flakes make them nice and chewy and the oats make them pretty filling. So do they count as healthy breakfast cookies? I don't know. I don't really care.

Almond-Oat Cookies, Oil-free, Vegan
Yield, about 15 odd cookies

1/3 c soymilk
2 T flax meal
1 c WW pastry flour
1 c almond flour
1/4 t salt
1/4 t baking soda
1/2 t cinnamon
1/4 t cardamom
1/8 t ginger
1/4 c rolled oats
1/4 c unsweetened dried coconut
1/4 c sugar
1/3 c apple juice
1/2 t vanilla extract

Preheat oven to 375. Line 2 baking sheets with parchment paper.
Mix soy milk and flax meal together briskly with a fork and set aside.
In a large bowl mix flours, baking soda, spices, oats, coconut, and sugar.
Create a well in the middle, add soy milk/flax mixture, apple juice, and vanilla. Blend until just combined.
Scoop out dough, a little less than a Tablespoon's worth, onto the baking sheets and pat down a little bit. These cookies won't spread, but puff up a little.
Bake for 10-12 minutes, remove, and let cool.

5 comments:

  1. Beautiful Breakfast! I think the cookies are totally acceptable ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've started putting cardamom in a lot of the things I usually put cinnamon in. It's so fragrant!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks, Aimee. Since you allow it, I promise to eat more cookies for breakfast.

    Dianne, I only just bought it and am in love with it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like it...sounds like a healthy breakfast to me.... :o) I have cardamom on my grocery list. I've been seeing way too many recipes with it, and I'm ready to try it out.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Michelle, it took me a while to get on the cardamom train too, but I am hooked already!

    ReplyDelete

Leave a message and I'll call you back.