Search This Blog

Loading...

Monday, February 7, 2011

Tester Recipe: Earthy Eggplant

More testing today for the upcoming Urban Vegan cookbook: Earthy Eggplant. I don't know if I should call this Earthy Eggplant dip, or Earthy Eggplant sauce, or what - but I do know that if it's being served, just don't call me late for dinner! HA! Ha..anyway.


As you can see, I served it as a sauce over whole wheat pasta and kale. Dynise suggested (or desired) that we top the sauce with pine nuts so, despite the $7.99 price tag (and that's the cheapest they come - at Trader Joe's) I did so - and they were delicious.
There are raisins, mushrooms, and both cumin and paprika in the dish, as well as fresh bursts of mint (as well as other things) which all sound a little bizarre but really melted together to something great. G ate it as a dip with pita chips and couldn't stop raving about it. I guess this won't be a hard one to figure out how to finish it up.

8 comments:

  1. sounds good,i love eggplant and was getting a litle tired of always making baba ganoush. pine nuts are so expensive! i hear ya.

    "just don't call me late for dinner! HA! Ha..anyway"

    ....:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is an awesome idea...to use eggplant puree as a pasta topping, and with the raisins and spices it does sound really tasty. The kale looks so vibrant and makes the dish really pretty.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This aubergine recipe seems very versatile, I think I'd have it as a dip with pitta bread. I will also have to look out for the book too. I have to admit, I had not heard of it until today.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love eggplant! I've never made any kind of dip or sauce out of it though...This souns very good!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Glad you liked it! Actually, the raisin-cumin-greens & pine nut combo is pretty prevalent in North Africa/Sicily. So I can't take the credit for the kooky-but-successful mix. I'm just the messenger ;)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Whoa, look out, Food Feud's gone comedic. Funny that Earthy isn't what most people want to call their food.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks all - it was totally worth it.
    Michelle, this is nothing like baba ganoush but I looove that too. My sister told me to add a little cinnamon into it, and it's great like that.
    Rose, I'm not really big on pasta but I'm glad I served it like that.
    Mangocheeks (great name), this cookbook isn't out yet but Dynise's first cookbook is called the Urban Vegan.
    Michelle, I love it too - so many people don't!
    Dynise, I'm totally making this a staple - and for a dinner party I'm having next week!
    Jenny, yeah "earthy" might put some people off but it is a good way to describe it, and when I think about it, I like a lot of "earthy" foods: mushrooms, beets...

    ReplyDelete
  8. That eggplant was so good. I served it as a side dish the first night, and over pasta the second.

    ReplyDelete

Leave a message and I'll call you back.