Search This Blog

Loading...

Sunday, February 20, 2011

A Tale of Two Cities, kinda: Part 1

With apologies to Dickens.
Today was much less raw food, which is lame, but everything was tasty. I was working most of the day on various projects (and got my taxes done!) and then got down to lunch/dinner: a worldly plate of food.
I guess it makes sense to combine two different cuisines, since the meal was smack dab in the middle of lunch and dinner times. One part of the meal was kibbeh, a Middle Eastern food usually made with bulgur wheat and lamb but uh not this time! This was another test recipe for Dynise, and used lentils instead of lamb. The mixture, before being cooked, looked creepily similar to ground lamb, though, from what I remember.


No? Well, it's been a while.


They were pretty tasty. I don't know that I've ever eaten bulgur wheat before, but it's quite good and gave these balls a very chewy texture. They are a little bland on their own, though spiced quite interestingly, but I wasn't sure how they were intended to be eaten. I figured Middle Eastern is Middle Eastern, and mixed tahini with some more muhammara for some sort of sauce.
The other part of the meal struck a little closer home, but I'll have to tell you more about that at another time and place....Maybe in the meantime you can guess?


There was also an unpictured salad on the side of both these dishes, but we are AGAIN running out of vegetables (it didn't help that half the cucumber fell in the garbage as I was peeling it)!
And thanks, Michelle and Dianne, for both giving me the Most Stylish Blogger award. I appreciate the mention but I don't really feel like saying seven things about myself. However, I will give you this, as evidence that I honestly don't even deserve the award which should sort of make up for being a bit guarded about "who I am."


Style? I can't even match my socks some days.

9 comments:

  1. the hand isnt blocking anything. she doesn't have a face. it's just more hair.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I bet the tahini and muhammara made a perfect sauce for the kibbeh. Looks like a satisfying plate of food.

    I can understand about being guarded about your person. At least we can see your gorgeous curly hair...I always wanted curly hair. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oooooh! A mystery post! Fun!

    No clue what that other stuff is next to the kibbeh.

    Blessed Mama is right, we can totally see you peeking through your fingers!

    But the biggest mystery: What is that double-taped button on the wall behind you? What happens if you push the button???

    ReplyDelete
  4. That Kibbeh looks very interesting!

    With Shen we get a hand...with you we get pretty curly hair. Come on....show yourselves....lol

    I have got to stop being so busy on the weekends, so I can stay caught up with you guys....looks like I missed a lot over the weekend. :o)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Greg, I couldn't possibly have more hair.
    Rose, the tahini and muhammara didn't blend too well but they were good as a dip more than a sauce. And thanks - I, like every other person with curly hair have always wanted straight hair ;)
    Shen, you're going to have to wait one more day for the mystery to be solved! CAN YOU HANDLE IT?? I'll tell you about the tape deal though - it's actually tape holding up a strip of cardboard so Greg can hang up his comics. If you push the button they burst into flames! So we don't do that.
    Michelle, I feel the same way! I can hardly keep up with posts some days and other days I feel like I'm waiting around for some signs of life!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Whoa veggie kibbeh! I am Lebanese and would *love* to make some vegan versions of old family favorites.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Leslie, I can send you the recipe if you'd like. It is a test recipe and you might need to tweak it, but if you have family recipes, I'm sure that'd be easy.

    ReplyDelete
  8. that's you?! i would have never guessed curly, dark hair. i LOVE it!!! you're adorable. including your outfit.

    ReplyDelete

Leave a message and I'll call you back.