Search This Blog

Loading...

Friday, February 4, 2011

Food Log and Craquelins!

Phew! I was on a tear these last few hours in the kitchen! I had to stop myself from making pickles because that would have been ridiculous. Although, if pickled things are what you want, read this post by Sarahfae. Or don't read the post but look at that cute frickin pizza puppy! I wish my cat stayed still long enough for me to get gratuitous animal shots up like some of you.
Okay enough talk because I have a lot of food for you today. I tried to keep an exact log of what I ate, how much, and when - just as an exercise in accountability and because I used to do it obsessively and I wanted to romp some old stomping grounds.
Breakfast - 7:30


A veritable fruit salad. Baby spinach, pineapple, banana, and mango. Green tea.

Breakfast being lighter than my usual oats/nuts/fruit, I was hungry again by 11, and snacked on one of these Amazing Grass energy bars:


Anyone ever tried these? It took me a few tries to get into them, but I like them a lot now! They're a bit more calorie-heavy than I usually like in a bar, but they really are nutrient-dense and super healthy and I was considering it half of my breakfast. I like the Berry flavor too, and recently purchased a few single packets of their powders for smoothies.
Lunch - 2:00


Salad with a little silken tofu mixed in and a dollop of the zucchini-bean dip. I also added some lemon juice and black pepper. Very tasty.
I was hungry again! at around 4, and ate an orange for a snack. One of the best I've had recently, actually.
Thennnn I was for some reason starving when I got home from work at 7 and ate exactly five of these Whole Foods vegetable crackers.


They are a little weird. They have dehydrated vegetables in them, which is nice, but no real flavor and a bit of a bizarre texture. Very crunchy. Anyway, I didn't want to eat too many because I was making crackers anyway, so I started boiling some broccoli that was about to go bad and making the Cheezy sauce recipe from Veganomicon (this isn't the one! Maybe it counts for the Cookbook Club, but I'm planning a real dish on Sunday.) It tasted alright but didn't thicken up as much as I thought it would. It also got even runnier because the broccoli was still a bit wet. I served it with more romaine wraps.


Romaine leaves with red bell pepper, zucchini strips, carrot, and shiitake mushrooms. Good and fresh as ever.


This picture is for you, Jenny - I'm grasping onto the wrap with my pudgy little hand for dear life to keep all the vegetables in!
Thenn I finally cleaned everything up and patted my full belly for the day and got to work making, as promised, crackers. I used Kris Holechek's recipe for "Hippy Dippy Crackers" from 100 Best Vegan Baking Recipes. They were fun to make, and taste better than WF's but they certainly aren't my FAVORITE CRACKERS EVER, but it's certainly something I'd like to work with, despite my dough sticking a bit and frustrating me. I won't be content until I make them PERFECT! I do like them, though! Don't get me wrong.


Hers originally used pumpkin seeds, flax seeds, and sesame seeds. I didn't have flax seeds (just flax meal) so my mix was: poppy seeds, pumpkin seeds, sesame seeds, and caraway seeds. Topped with a bit of sea salt.


Next time, I think I'll add some garlic powder or dried onion and roll them out more thinly.
So that's my whole day. Oh! PS dessert was unphotographed because the handful of chocolate chips and raisins was melting quickly in my hand. And you?

7 comments:

  1. yeah, roll them more thinly but they were mad good

    ReplyDelete
  2. "romp some old stomping grounds"
    lol good one. you are the first person that ive seen make there own crackers. they look pretty good! i would try rosemary. havent had dessert yet... well sort of i made ornbread and made a stevia syrup to go on top...i wasnt having a healthy day...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Those crackers look perfect for enjoying with some hummus.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I almost bought a couple of those Amazing Grass Bars at Whole Foods the other day, but talked myself out of it. I'll have to see if Kroger carrys them.
    mmmmm....those crackers look yummy! I have a recipe for some cheese crackers that I've been meaning to make....just haven't gotten around to it yet.
    Oh yeah...no matter what I eat and how full I am, I am always hungry in a couple of hours. :o)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Way to grasp that lettuce wrap - like a MAN! I'm glad you didn't eat it in one bite, though, as my husband probably WOULD have.

    I like the idea of making crackers!That seems the much healthier route so I wouldn't mind if they didn't taste AS good.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Michelle, yeah, I've really only seen raw crackers on the blogs which also look pretty tasty. Maybe I will dehydrate some soon.
    Oh, Shen, believe you me they will be used with some hummus, definitely.
    Thanks everyone else for the comments, I will eat like 7 million crackers in your honor.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This weekend I've been wanting to make whole-wheat crackers from my Mark Bittman cookbook. Never made crackers before. These look great!

    ReplyDelete

Leave a message and I'll call you back.