Search This Blog

Sunday, January 2, 2011

Belated Christmas Presents to Myself

So far today I think I did alright. Not much added sugar, a little bread-y but all homemade, and a good bunch of vegetables.


Breakfast was the last of the leftover cornbread, and an apple bowl with honey, raw almond butter, and green tea.
I was going stir-crazy after not having left the house yesterday so I went to pick up a few things. It was a good day to get out - gray but warm enough. I needed a 2011 planner (my yearly Slingshot!) and some stuff at the drugstore so I also sort of treated myself to some new kitchen goodies that I've been eyeing for a while, stopping at a kitchen store that was in the same area. We don't need to get into how many beautiful appliances and useless contraptions I was drooling over.


Saving money is also one of my goals for the year and this cost $37 all together, but I know I'll get my money's worth. My old measuring spoons and cups were getting pretty weak. The other two items (plain ole cookie cutter and a pastry brush) were more of a treat.
When I got home, I was pretty hungry so I quickly made lunch of quinoa and the last apple-sage Field Roast sausage with Brussels sprouts at Greg's request. I also ate some carrots and topped pretty much all of it with mustard.


Almost immediately after lunch I started on focaccia to have with dinner. For some reason, I'm of the mind that bread isn't as bad for me if I make it myself. Either way, I'm glad I made this though I don't know what drove me to do it. It was super easy and only had to rise for an hour and a half total. Focaccia is incredibly versatile too. I used the basic recipe from Veganomicon subbing dried thyme for fresh rosemary, cutting back on the oil, adding cracked black pepper into the dough, and doing 1/3 WW flour, 2/3 unbleached white flour. I topped it with sea salt and powdered rosemary.


Plated with dinner of the last of the chili and some kale I steamed.


And, finally, I have a serious sweet tooth as well as a compulsion to collect recipes that I'm slowly making my way through. However, since we're trying to cut back on sugar, a "healthy," raw dessert was on the schedule for tonight: Gingerbread Truffles. I actually found this recipe in a Diabetes Health pamphlet I took from the pharmacy but it's also featured in the Biggest Loser Dessert cookbook.


Dates, molasses, ginger, cinnamon, cloves, nutmeg, and oats. That's it! I also added a little water to help blend the sticky mash. Greg is a little sick and can't taste much but I think the spices made it through to his palate. He said they were really good. I concur and am happy for a chance to have used my mini cupcake liners!

5 comments:

  1. good idea on the mini cupcake holders! i was wondering where you got the "truffle papers", sneaky sneaky:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Darn! I saw little cupcake holders on a 50% off Xmas shelf but thought I'd never bake such tiny cuppers. Using the holders for truffles makes so much sense now.

    ReplyDelete
  3. you've enlightened me today - I didn't know there was such a thing as a raw dessert - they look so yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Michelle, yah, the papers are cute, no? I got them at a craft store impulsively because I love anything miniature...my obsession finally paid off!
    Shen - do you have a mini cupcake tin? You could probably just roll the balls and store them holder-less in the tin. I don't have a tiny tin but I want one! Because...again...anything mini.
    S+F - I'm glad to enlighten anyone about raw desserts because they are my FAVORITE treat. However, I probably should have called these "no-bake" rather than "raw" because molasses is heated. Either way, these are really tasty.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am the same way with bread...for some reason I think if I make it, it's okay to eat it...and I mean as much as I want. lol

    I want to make some raw foods this year....those Gingerbread Truffles look yummy!

    ReplyDelete

Leave a message and I'll call you back.