Search This Blog

Loading...

Wednesday, December 1, 2010

Taste the Rainbow and a Recipe

Well, I have NOT yet seen a copy of the much-anticipated new Color Me Vegan by one of my favorite cookbook authors, Colleen Patrick-Goudreau. She's the one also responsible for The Vegan Table and The Joy of Vegan Baking, both of which are much used and often spilled upon round these parts.
I know it's out already (does anyone have it yet?) and I have a wait-list order on it at work, but it's yet to come through.
However, I DID find a copy of Lauren Ulm's Vegan Yum Yum (whoa too many links) today, which I've had an order on for forever! Yay! I'm pretty excited because I love finding things out of the blue like that even though it had been so long that I pretty much forgot I ordered it. She doesn't post on her blog so much anymore but she makes some great looking stuff so, to reiterate: Yay!
To keep the Color Me Vegan vibes alive, I ate a lot of color coordinated (and delicious) food today. I definitely got my vitamins by eating the rainbow.
Breakfast was orange and yellow: Oatmeal with pumpkin puree, a banana, and a spoonful of almond butter.
My snack was more orange: a few dried apricots and some baby carrots.
Lunch was a salad! It had been so long!


This was spinach, beets, carrot, tomato, bell pepper, cucumber and black beans. Topped with balsamic vinegar, a splash of apple cider, and black pepper. I also had an apple.
Dinner was green:


Spinach and broccoli with tofu cooked with a bit of soy sauce, garlic, and ginger. This was really tasty. I ate it far too quickly.

And that's that. Also, here's the recipe for the Chard-Fennel Tart from Thanksgiving. I don't usually post recipes because I'm never precise in what I use to cook and because a lot of recipes are from other people's cookbooks, but this recipe I adapted and combined enough. So here it is. You're welcome, JOE but you better damn make it.

2 pie crusts, uncooked (homemade or store-bought)
1 TBS oil or butter
2 large yellow onions, chopped
3 cloves garlic, minced
1 medium fennel bulb, chopped
2 big bunches Swiss chard, cleaned, de-stemmed and coarsely chopped
1 TBS cider vinegar
2 TBS fennel greens, chopped
½ tsp. salt
½ tsp. black pepper
1 cup soy milk
15 oz. extra-firm tofu
½ tsp nutmeg
5 TBS flour
2 TBS nutritional yeast

-Preheat oven to 350. Bake pie shells for 10 minutes, and remove from oven. Set aside.
-In a large pan, sauté onions, garlic, and fennel bulb in oil or butter over a medium flame until vegetables soften.
-Add chopped chard by the handful to wilt in pan. Add in cider vinegar, fennel greens, salt and pepper and keep cooking until the liquid evaporates.
-Remove the pan from heat and allow to cool. In a blender or food processor, combine milk, tofu, nutmeg, flour and nutritional yeast until smooth. In a large bowl, combine contents of blender and vegetables.
-Stir all ingredients together and distribute evenly between two pie shells. Bake for 45 minutes, or until crust is golden brown and the filling is set.

5 comments:

  1. I don't know who JOE is, but glad he got you to print the Chard & Fennel Tart recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the whole color me vegan idea.

    I have been meaning to tell you, I got my cookbook! Thank you! Also the food zines - I've enjoyed the ones I've read, so far. They kept me quite entertained while sitting in the car pick-up line at school. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, I've been wanting to buy that book for the longest time, too! Definitely sounds promising.. There are just too many good vegan cookbooks out there to choose from now.

    ReplyDelete
  4. So this is the origin of that awesome quiche recipe from Shen's blog!

    Your food today looks and sounds so healthy and delicious...

    I miss Lauren's blog too...she hasn't posted in ages...I've thought about getting the cookbook...maybe I should just take the plunge.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I saw your quiche on Shen's blog today and it looked so good that I thought I would come check out the recipe. Sounds yummy!

    ReplyDelete

Leave a message and I'll call you back.