Search This Blog

Loading...

Saturday, December 4, 2010

My First Baked Goods in a New Stove

...are only the most autumnal baked goods I could ever make!
G and I have been a little frustrated with the stove burners because only some of them work, and even then ya gotta jiggle it... Soft hands, or something. I'm too manic and stressed to calmly fiddle with knobs.
So I was a little worried to try to bake anything, which is sad because it's my - I don't know, lifesblood? Hobby? Somewhere in between, I think. My first attempt to use the oven resulted in mad smoke and a piercing alarm (thank goodness we had the ladder) and then I was even more put off. But the other day, after checking prices online for oven thermometers (okay, not insanely expensive) and checking a few random stores (no, not an oven timer) I picked up what almost every baking cookbook recommends as almost indispensable:

I carefully positioned the thermometer in my oven and got to work whipping up Pumpkin-Corn Muffins with Cranberries.


As you'll remember, my last corn muffins didn't go over too well. These were lighter inside and while not as sweet as a lot of people would like (especially with the cranberries), I think they'd pretty nice as a breakfast muffin and something to use up the leftover Thanksgiving goods hanging out in the refrigerator.


They have almost no oil but are light inside because of the pumpkin:

1/2 c. cornmeal
1 tsp. salt, divided
1 c. almond milk
1 TBS flax, 3 Tbs water, mixed
2 scant cups WW flour
4 TBS brown sugar
2 (largish) tsps baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/3 c. pumpkin puree
1/4 c. apple cider
2 tsp. corn oil (you could probably omit this altogether)
1/2 c. frozen cranberries

-Preheat oven to 375* and grease muffin tins.
-Soak cornmeal and 1/2 tsp salt in milk while you prepare everything else.
-Blend flax and water until gelatinous and set aside.
-In a medium-size bowl, combine flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, and other 1/2 tsp. salt.
-In a small bowl, mix cornmeal and milk mixture, pumpkin puree, apple cider, oil and flax egg. Add into the dry ingredients. Add cranberries in at the very end so as to not burst them, but do not over mix batter. A bit of visible flour is okay.
-Fill muffin tins and top with a light sprinkling of sugar. Bake for about 25 minutes.



Anyway, as it turns out, the inside of my stove isn't off by much at all but it's good to know. I feel comforted and will commence more holiday baking.....now.

5 comments:

  1. Two teaspoons of oil, very impressive. I bet you are right that you could leave that out. Go you!

    Ali

    ReplyDelete
  2. They look extremely delicious! Did you defrost the Cranberries before adding them?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks guys. Yeah, I only added the oil out of fear that they wouldn't hold together, but I'd risk it next time.
    And no, I didn't defrost the cranberries, not sure why...

    ReplyDelete
  4. These look good. I love anything pumpkin!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yum! Not much sugar or oil. I like the sounds of that!

    ReplyDelete

Leave a message and I'll call you back.