Search This Blog

Loading...

Monday, December 27, 2010

All Shall Be Well and All Shall Be Well and All Manner of Things Shall Be Well

I panic pretty easily. And over fairly unimportant things. Sometimes I need to remember to calm down and be grateful for the things I do have. Especially on a windy, snowy, cold day like today.
Granted, not having food is not unimportant but we certainly would have made it through ONE DAY with the stuff we had. I am so grateful that I didn't have to go to work today (it was bad out there), I'm glad we had power and heat, I'm glad my kitty was snuggling warm with me and that she isn't one of those sad strays I always see who I hope found somewhere warm to curl up, and I'm glad that Greg was able to take the day off.
I gave him (us) a waffle iron for Christmas and once it was settled that he was staying home, I started through Vegan Brunch for a recipe. We had all the ingredients on hand to break in the iron with Isa's standard Old-Fashioned Chelsea waffles. Easy! Well, maybe I say that because G did most of the work. He's a natural.



He ate his with banana, cinnamon, and maple syrup.


I topped mine with Earth Balance and apricot jam. The best part of this is the stack of waffles frozen and ready to reheat at the drop of a hat! Or a snowflake.
I did some sewing, some reading, puttered about and looked wistfully out the window. Around two, I got dressed in the most ridiculous layers of clothes (two pairs of socks, long johns, work pants, a yoga shirt, long sleeved shirt, nightgown (!), sweater, sweatshirt, and bandana - no gloves for some stupid reason) and went for some groceries. The streets were really a mess and there were cop cars and firefighter cars all over the place. At the same time, it was a little exciting and quite beautiful. Probably the quietest I'll ever see Bed-Stuy.
I picked up: kale, zucchini, oranges, apples, pears, cherry tomatoes, carrots, broccoli, olives, hummus, and bread. Only the necessities; aren't you proud of me? It was a bizarre scene though. The shelves were getting pretty empty (I assume deliveries didn't happen today) and I thought the place would be deserted, and it sort of was, but there were only three cashiers so the lines were long. I needed to stop off at the drugstore too but it was closed. I made my way back and made one special stop on the way back to make the trip worth it... When I got back home and showered the chill and the sweat off, I made myself a drink with this beauty.


Hello Hot Toddy. I try not to drink liquor much anymore but whiskey is really my favorite and today called for a little something warm.
After a quick lunch of two carrots and an open-face hummus, tomato, and spinach sandwich, I started on dinner.
When I was meal-planning last night, I had come up with the idea of a tomato and black bean stew over rice, all of which we had in the apartment. Yay canned foods, sometimes. I stayed with that plan, with the ever-welcome addition of the newly acquired kale. It was definitely necessary to the dish:


olive oil
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 onion, sliced thinly
2 cans diced tomatoes
1/2 bunch kale, de-stemmed, washed and torn into small pieces
1 can black beans
1/2 cup red wine
3 TBS balsamic vinegar
salt and pepper
red pepper flakes
1 tsp thyme

cooked rice

-Warm olive oil in a large pot and add garlic and onions. Cook until onions are translucent. Add salt and pepper and stir.
-Put diced tomatoes into the pot, along with a little extra water. Add red pepper flakes (or not - I like a little heat). Add wine and balsamic vinegar and heat until bubbling and heated through. Add kale. When the leaves begin to wilt, add black beans and continue to cook about 10 minutes longer. Add thyme at the end, and stir through. Adjust seasonings to taste.
-Serve over rice.

This was really good. Obviously the stew can be eaten on its own but the rice made it come together. The kale was just the right texture and while it was a little spicier than I had intended (the red pepper flakes opened into the pot! I had to scoop a bunch out), the red wine mellowed it out. And I'm so happy to have used (mostly) stuff from the pantry. Greg liked it a lot, Pete Hamill approves.
Aaannddd finally, I cleaned out the freezer which...wasn't too full...but I did have some mystery cookie dough hanging out in there. I mixed the two and baked cookies:



Half graham-cracker dough (I thought it was gingerbread!) and half sugar cookie. Good enough for a really nice day. And I'm grateful for it all.

9 comments:

  1. thats right you have a cat:)!! those cookies are really cool, who would have thought of putting those two doughs together? Maud would, thats who lol.

    sorry to be such a stalker! i had caffiene tonight...i feel GREAT!!!!

    those waffles..WOW. no words:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awesome post. Love the title. (So next time a storm is predicted, you'll panic and stock up beforehand like a normal person, right!?)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Those waffles look amazing. I must have been on Santa's naughty list, because I asked for a waffle iron, but didn't get one. That's okay...I got some money, so I will just buy one. :o)

    I had apricot jam this morning myself. I put mine on a whole wheat bagel though with tofutti cream cheese. I'm sure the jam would have been much better on one of your waffles.

    The soup looks and sounds very good, but I am really admiring that bowl that it's in! That is one cool looking bowl!

    I'm glad you survived the cold weather while trekking to the grocery store...sounds like you layered up like I would have...brrrr

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh man I have totally been craving waffles!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for drooling, guys. I virtually wish you all waffles.

    Shen, I will definitely plan my panics for a better time. Panic and kale.

    Michelle, waffle irons aren't too expensive; you should totally get one but your breakfast sounds delectable as well..I love tofutti! And thanks for noticing the bowl! My sister actually just gave me two of them for Christmas. They are handmade from a local pottery place.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I can't believe you went out in all that snow. Glad you didn't freeze on your trip to forage for food. I love that kale is a necessity. Sounds like our house, LOL.

    Ali

    ReplyDelete
  7. I got Vegan Brunch for Christmas. Your outfit reminds me of when we were in NY last month, and I went out to do errands in my pj's and boots, etc. Ryan said, "Are you going out in that?" I was like, "Uh, we're in NYC...so, yeah."

    BTW, I had this question so I'll ask you. How much does it cost to get one's groceries delivered?

    ReplyDelete
  8. OH! And I love how you mixed the doughs.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Jenny - haha! I love the pajama comment. In NY anything goes..
    Hmm, I've never had my groceries delivered so I'm not really sure but I've seen charts and such that that range from 10 to 25 dollars (plus cost of food and tip) depending on how far away the delivery is. Sort of doesn't sound worth it to me.

    ReplyDelete

Leave a message and I'll call you back.