Search This Blog

Loading...

Saturday, November 6, 2010

Mo-Fo Six

Hey guys. It's the end of my workweek, and I'm a little bit tired and as you saw from my photos of the refrigerator yesterday, there wasn't much to work with as far as today's eats go.
Instead, I'm going to participate in one of the surveys that's making the MoFo rounds. I got this one from Ali, who seems to be constantly making beautiful and healthy meals with such care and love for herself and husband. Nice stuff.

What is one food you thought you’d miss when you went vegan, but don’t?
Probably cheese, though I didn't give much forethought to becoming vegan and jumped on in anyway.

What is a food or dish you wouldn’t touch as a child, but enjoy now?

I don't think I was really too picky as a child, though my mother might contend that. The only things I remember hating were her disgusting meat dishes, and I sure as hell don't enjoy those now.

What vegan dish or food you feel like you “should” like, but don’t?
Hmm, I don't know! Fresh figs, maybe? I'm not a huge fan of rice, which is a pretty important staple...

What beverage do you consume the most of on any given day?

Water!

What dish are you “famous” for making or bringing to gatherings?
I like to change things up and not make the same thing too often, but my co-workers know I'm usually good to bring in some baked good (cookies or muffins usually) every once in a while.


Do you have any self-imposed food rules (like no food touching on the plate or no nuts in sweets)?

I generally like to finish one "segment" of my plate before moving on to the next - all the salad, then the sandwich. Also, when I eat mixed snacks like trail mix or colored candies, I'll eat all of one type or color together, and then move on. But no, I do not separate my salads!

What’s one food or dish you tend to eat too much of when you have it in your home?
Dried fruit doesn't last long. Nor do cookies or chips.

What ingredient or food do you prefer to make yourself despite it being widely available prepackaged?
Most baked goods. I know even the ones that I make aren't healthy with the oil and sugar and such, but at least I can control the amounts and I know that real foods without chemicals are involved. Plus, it's cheaper and more work - that way I don't make eating sweets a habit.

What ingredient or food is worth spending the extra money to get “the good stuff”?
Real chocolate. Steel-cut oats. Organic fruits and vegetables, when I can.

Are you much of a snacker? What are your favorite snacks?

Yes! I like crackers or vegetables with hummus, dried fruits, or sometimes I'll sip a juice throughout the day.

(Here's today's snack)


What are your favorite vegan pizza toppings?
This doesn't happen often. Broccoli and olives, maybe? Sun-dried tomatoes.

What is your favorite vegetable? Fruit?

This changes a lot, really, but my fallbacks are probably spinach and apples.

What is the best salad dressing?

I usually just use mustard and balsamic vinegar but that tahini-lemon one I made was pretty good too.

What is your favorite thing to put on toasted bread?

Avocado or nut butters.

What kind of soup do you most often turn to on a chilly day or when you aren’t feeling your best?
On a chilly day, I want something hearty like vegetable soup with noodles. When I'm sick, I stick to miso broth.

What is your favorite cupcake flavor? Frosting flavor?
Pumpkin with cream cheese frosting.

What is your favorite kind of cookie?
Chocolate-chocolate chip. Or something chocolate/coffee.

What is your most-loved “weeknight meal”?
Salad and a sandwich. Easy peasy.

What is one dish or food you enjoy, but can’t get anyone else in your household to eat?
I think we have pretty similar tastes. He eats some things I wouldn't but he's always willing to try what I make.

How long, in total, do you spend in the kitchen on an average day?
Well, cooking/prepping/baking/cleaning up/snacking, I'd say maybe two hours and a half hours? but don't listen to me, I have no idea.

Okay. I need to get off the computer for a bit and read something that isn't a food blog. Let's hear it for Dorothy Day.

2 comments:

  1. I like to read people's surveys. I'll try to do this one next week or so. Our answers will be fairly similar, I think. I'm not overwhelmed by fresh figs, either. I don't like coffee flavor, though. And I don't eat one thing on my plate at a time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I liked your survey especially the pumpkin and cream cheese cupcakes. I used to love carrot cake back in the day. Now I must find some fresh figs. I learned to love those on the Amalfi Coast. They are outrageous right from the tree.

    have a good evening,
    Ali

    ReplyDelete

Leave a message and I'll call you back.