Search This Blog

Loading...

Monday, November 8, 2010

Mo-Fo Seven; Pear Pie with Cashew Cream

PPCC! Well, actually this is a recipe for a pear tart since a pie technically is covered and a tart is traditionally only one crust.

This was easy, which is not to say it was a complete success. I guess it's just good that I got something edible without much effort.
Pears are delicious. However, I usually pass them over in favor of apples in the fall, really for no good reason. G and I stopped to get some groceries but realized we didn't really need to. However, it's been a while since I've baked something and I had been meaning to but was a little busy (or lazy) but Sunday is a weekend day (and Daylight Savings so I technically had a WHOLE NOTHER HOUR OF LIFE!) so I took some time and made this for dessert.
First I soaked 1 cup raw cashews in 1 cup warm water for an hour.
I preheated a frozen crust in a 400* oven for ten minutes, then took it out and let it cool.
While that heated, I peeled 2 Bosc pears and sliced them, as well as minced about 1 TBS. ginger.
I threw the pear slices and ginger into enough apple cider to cover them, and cooked them until they got soft.
While the pears cooled in the liquid, I added the cashews and about 1/2 cup of the soaking water into a food processor with maybe 3 TBS maple syrup, 1 tsp cinnamon, and 1.5 tsp vanilla extract.
When the cashews were blended to creamy, I spread about 1/3 of the mixture into the pie crust. Then I layered the pear slices on top (Reserve the pear/cider liquid). Add another layer of cashew cream, and top with more pear slices. Top with cinnamon and a sprinkling of brown sugar.
I then baked it in the 400* oven for about 20 minutes and let it cool.



This was all I did to the pie yesterday, and G and I ate it and he declared it "breakfasty," which pretty much means not sweet enough. It definitely was a subtle sweetness, which I'm fine with - the problem was that the store-bought crust was a bit too salty. To remedy this, today, with the leftover pear/cider liquid, I added about 1/4 cup of brown sugar and let it come to a boil and reduce on the stovetop. I then poured this over the top of the already cooked pie and let it cool. I think it helped; we'll see what G has to say about it.


If I were to make this again, I'd make my own pie crust so that I could control the salt, etc. I also might still make the cider syrup for the top, but pour it on before the whole pie was cooked.
Anyway, that's that.

4 comments:

  1. This is an incredible accomplishment. I wish I knew how to put together a vegan cream pie without a recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The pie looks great! Aren't raw cashews the most useful thing in the kitchen? I couldn't stay healthy without them. ;-)

    Ali

    ReplyDelete
  3. Aw shucks, Shen it ain't that hard. Try it, just don't stop eating all those delicious looking desserts you do.

    And YES cashews are useful in so many things! They are also quite delicious just out of my hand. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I missed this post somehow, but I think that looks so great. I rather like plain tasting cream pies with fruit on top. The whole fam does.

    ReplyDelete

Leave a message and I'll call you back.