Search This Blog

Loading...

Monday, November 22, 2010

Mo-Fo Nineteen, Roasted and Groceries

I went to my mother's house today to help a little bit with the Thanksgiving prep and we wound up roasting chestnuts! I had done this once before with Greg to make a comic for my food zine:

This is the recipe from Veganomicon. We totally messed it up because I was busy being smitten (and drunky) so we burned the chestnuts. Oh also there was no temperature dial on the oven! Anyway, I didn't burn the chestnuts today and I was an old pro at scoring them with an X. They smelled delicious but my mom and I tried one. She liked them but I didn't really care for them much. She then transferred them to the grill outside to get them charred and crunchier, and I left. Maybe they came out better.
Despite it being about 60 degrees today, I kept with the roasting theme and after running to a few different grocery stores and the farmer's market in the city and somehow forgetting something at each place, I roasted up: Brussels sprouts, cauliflower, and broccoli. Helloooo Brassicae! I also tossed in some vidalia onion and chopped garlic and topped it with lemon juice, olive oil, black pepper, and sea salt. I held off on any spices to keep things pretty neutral.


Would you believe Greg has never had a Brussels sprout before??
So I ate a side of those topped with a little nooch and had a bowl of salad with tofu on the side. It was all very tasty.


The only problem is that roasted chopped garlic looks very much like roasted chopped cauliflower and now I'll be bending my breath for a while.

I had a handful of white chocolate chips and raisins for dessert.

6 comments:

  1. Hee hee hee - love the comic strip.And that DOES look like Cauliflower!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love roasted veggies, that is one of my favorite cold weather meals. It sounds like you had a good time with mom.

    Ali

    ReplyDelete
  3. So did Earl ever say how the Chestnut/Lentil Pate tasted?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hehe I think it was Earl approved, seeing as how he ate it all!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Do u buy chestnuts in shells? Where? I bought a small jar of chestnuts and realized later it was $13! :0

    ReplyDelete
  6. Jenny - were yours already shelled or cooked? My boyfriend bought a bag of them in season at a local (awesome!) grocery store but I think he said it was about ten dollars for a medium sized bag.
    The ones my mother bought, she got at an Italian specialty store. I don't know how much they were, but I'd wager about the same?

    ReplyDelete

Leave a message and I'll call you back.