Search This Blog

Loading...

Sunday, November 21, 2010

Mo-Fo Eighteen, Harvest Lasagna

Chomp. I made some sort of something. I'm good at those. A while back (we're talking 2+ years here), I saw a recipe for baked mac&cheese with butternut squash in it, and while I can't remember where I saw it or if it was even vegan, the idea stuck with me. Almost three years later I...almost made it.
I didn't want to buy vegan cheese, I didn't want to buy macaroni noodles, and I didn't want to buy a butternut squash, but what I did have around was plenty of pumpkin, some lasagna noodles, and a sort of idea of how to make vegan cheese. Kind of. I layered the whole thing out in a lasagna pan because I figured pureed pumpkin is a lot like tomato sauce and I just ran from there: pumpkin mixture, noodles, cheese layer, pumpkin mixture, cheese layer, noodles.

I only have a photo pre-baked, but it crisped up and browned pretty nicely. I'm sure you'll see some leftovers pics. I had a piece with a small salad of spinach, arugula, carrots, broccoli, and a few mushrooms.



Pumpkin mixture:
About 20 oz (I used most of an already opened 28 oz. can) pureed pumpkin
water to thin
crumbled dried sage
1 tsp. sea salt

Cheese sauce:
7 oz. extra firm tofu
2 cloves garlic, minced
sea salt
2 Tbs. soy milk
1/2 Tbs. Earth Balance
1 Tbs. tahini
turmeric
1/4 cup nooch
black pepper

-Cook your noodles and set aside.
-Preheat oven to 375*
-Blend pumpkin mixture together and set aside
-Blend tofu, sea salt, garlic and soy milk in a food processor or blender until smooth. Pour into a saucepan with EB and let heat. Gradually and stirring, add tahini, nooch, and spices. Add more soy milk if needed but you don't want this to be too thin. Mine was a little more liquidy than tofu ricotta.
-Spread pumpkin mixture into pan, and layer.
-Top with bread crumbs, crumbled dried sage, and more salt and pepper.

This recipe was okay. I would play around with the cheese sauce a little more if I were to make it again. I got confused halfway through preparation as to whether I wanted the dish more like the mac&cheese of inspiration or lasagna, which I'm more comfortable making. Maybe I'll just try to find that mac&cheese recipe. In the meantime, this is filling and tasty. The sage is essential!

One more thing: congratulations to Ali on winning the giveaway.


Ali - I know you said you're always only 10 minutes away from a meal; maybe this book will help you cut it down to 5! E-mail me your address (antimaud at hotmail dot com)and I'll send it out as soon as I can.

4 comments:

  1. That lasagna looks amazing. That's what my parents are serving for dinner tonight (unfortunately not vegan so I won't be eating any) and this really makes me want to make my own! Thanks for sharing the recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That lasagna does sound good. I remember watching the Food Network (I think it was Ellie Krieger) and she added squash to her mac and cheese to cut down on the cheese. It seemed like a good idea to me too but I never tried it. Thanks for the reminder.

    Wow, I won, that is wonderful. I will shoot you an email this morning. I love the idea of good food in 5 minutes. I will let you know if it happens. ;-)

    Ali

    ReplyDelete
  3. A very purdy pic! Congrats, Ali! (I knew her when she was Alicia).

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ooo I like! I will try this one.

    ReplyDelete

Leave a message and I'll call you back.