Search This Blog

Loading...

Wednesday, October 20, 2010

Menu Planning

Do you guys menu plan?
I'm a bit of an organizational freak and I love to make lists, so menu planning makes sense to me but I didn't do it until recently, because now I know better what I'll be doing on a given night, or where I'll be. Plus I have more leftovers since G and I cook together more often and I know he'll eat some and I can have some at leisure without having to eat lasagna everyday for it to not go bad. Although I did end up having to throw out some lentil loaf yesterday because it was getting weirdly rusted in the loaf pan. I hate wasting food but eek. Parts of the top looked okay but I didn't feel like loading my bloodstream with metals. It may be time for some higher quality loaf pans.
Anyway, I still only menu plan about three days in advance because "the best laid plans," you know. I plan to not plan. But it makes things really easy, I spend less on frivolous purchases, and it helps with portion control.
Tonight, I was sort-of-almost-but-not-really planning to go see a talk (hear a talk?) but I punked out at the last moment but was still able to come home and know what I was going to eat without standing around wondering for half an hour. Which is good. Because I was hungry.

Here's what I had planned for today.

Coffee with soy milk, oatmeal with pumpkin butter and almond butter, and a banana. Vitamin not pictured, although if you look closely, you might actually be able to see my menu plan underneath the banana!


Lunch was a big salad with tofu and baba ganoush. It was tasty! I also had a few dried apricots.

I had a Gingerberry Synergy Kombucha right before I left work, which held off the hunger some. This was also the first time I tasted that flavor and I really liked it. Ginger and this one are probably my favorites.


Dinner was quick and easy, Rye bread with pesto, FYH Cheddar Cheese, and cherry tomatoes with a Spinach-zucchini-tomato salad, topped with balsamic vinegar, lemon juice, and red pepper flakes.

Oh and this vanilla cupcake with homemade chocolate icing from VCTOTW. Of course I only ate it to make room in the refrigerator because it's SOMEone's birthday tomorrow (did you know? I hope you're all prepared) and there MIGHT be some other baked good that needs some space.
Yum yum.

Oh and! Oddly enough, I posted about Jae Steele's baba ganoush recipe yesterday and then today, when checking the events schedule for the talk I was thinking about attending (on zining and libraries) when I realized that she's going to be talking at the same bookstore on Sunday!! I punked out today but I WILL be there on Sunday! I might have a little crush on her. Apparently she has a new cookbook coming out that I had no idea about. I'll let you know how it is!

2 comments:

  1. I've never been able to menu plan, that seems to go along with people who are able to grocery shop once a week.

    That cupcake looks so simple and fresh!

    Who's birthday is it????

    ReplyDelete
  2. Did you have a birthday? I TRY to menu plan, and I'm so scatter brained and fickle, it's hard to stick with it entirely. That's my goal, though. You always have the healthiest looking salads.

    ReplyDelete

Leave a message and I'll call you back.