Search This Blog

Loading...

Sunday, October 24, 2010

Fancy Feast

Breakfast brought to you by Trader Joe's:


Oats in a Jar with Cranberry-Apple butter, oats (duh), almond butter, apple rings, and a little apple cider. This was tasty, but OIAJ are always a little dry. I COULD add more liquid, which I was trying to do with the apple cider, but I reaaally hate mushy oats. It's hard to gauge how much of anything to put in when it's all packed vertically...Does anyone else have this problem or is it just me? Ahhh stop complainin'.

I snacked on some carrot sticks with baba ganoush and went grocery shopping at TJ's again and spent 53 buckaroos...oy. It's so easy to spend unnecessary money there.
Anyway, I ate a salad topped with hummus
and read Catholic Girls, a collection of prose and poetry about...Catholic girlhood. It's interesting. I didn't go to church today.

Instead, I set about making dinner, a Chard-Fennel-Onion Tart, which G was not originally thrilled about but ate and seemed to enjoy. I liked it a lot and had TWO slices with tomatoes on the side. This was my first time working with either fennel OR chard! The base is tofu, nooch, soymilk and a few other things...I adapted and veganized this recipe from The New Vegetarian Epicure by Anna Thomas (included eggs) and The Vegan Table by Colleen Patrick-Goudreau (only onions).



I think I may make this for Thanksgiving, with a little more tweaking..

3 comments:

  1. Apologies again, I've never done Oats in a Jar. Never made a Green Monster. I have made quiche though, and a Chard-Fennel-Onion Tart sounds awesome. Also, like the way you use your books as coasters.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've only just begun to experiment with savory tarts myself, and am quite enjoying the concept! Good idea to test-drive recipes before the actual Thanksgiving meal, too... Would hate to have any surprises from recipe you've never made before.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yay, you used the fennel! That tart looks amazing... yum. I, too, easily spend more than I anticipate at TJs. I am an unabashed TJs whore. I love that place.

    ReplyDelete

Leave a message and I'll call you back.