Search This Blog

Wednesday, April 21, 2010

Just the facts

Oy, so it's been a while and I've definitely been celebrating being able to eat. To keep this post as cohesive as possible, though, and to get this up before the internet spazzes out, I'll keep it to the notables.
Greg and I are going to have another Strandzig out by May and we have a bake sale before each new issue to raise some funds. I am lame and stupid and forgot to take photos of all of the the hopefully delicious goods that were made this time around. But, included were: Pumpkin Cinn-A-Zag Bread and The Ultimate Brownies from 100 Best Vegan Baking Recipes by Kris Holechek, Chocolate Kitchen Sink Biscotti (added chocolate chips, almonds, and dried cherries) and Chocolate Crinkle Cookies from Vegan Cookies Invade Your Cookie Jar as well as the lemon blueberry cupcakes that I made for Scott's birthday by adapting a few recipes, but generally were vanilla cupcakes from Vegan Cupcakes Take Over the World. Phew!
You've seen the crinkle cookies before, and this was the third time I've made them, so I think I finally got it down. People really seemed to enjoy everything; I tasted the biscotti and did like it. Unfortunately, we didn't make all that much money because I think there was a smaller yield and whatever, whatever, but I'm glad people enjoyed the stuff they had.

Okay! Next up is something that Greg and I have been talking about making for a long time: vegan spinach lasagna. I just bought The Vegan Table by Colleen Patrick-Goudreau and there was a recipe for it in there, complete with a photo and we were inspired. Um, vegan ricotta is really easy. We didn't add the melty kind of cheese in-between layers or anything but we both agreed that the final product was totally successful. The ricotta was basically tofu, basil, lemon juice, spinach, and salt. We also added mushrooms to the layers. I don't eat much pasta, but this was definitely good. He went home with some and I'm even proud enough of it that I'm bringing some to my parents today.

Yes? It's not a great photo, but I was a little tipsy and awkward taking a photo in front of other people (another person). You get the idea. It's lasagne.
I'm definitely on a baking kick; I'm cooling some more biscotti as we speak: Cornmeal-Poppy seed this time. I'll edit with a picture later if I can.

Edited to add: (hehe, I wrote "ass" at first)


That's all for now, but hopefully: homemade ice cream soon! (Not vegan).

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave a message and I'll call you back.