Search This Blog

Saturday, April 3, 2010

Easter Week Detox, days 1-4

Well, hey. How do YOU feel?
Today was the last day of the detox, and I’ve got some mixed feelings about it, mostly because I’m still in a schizoid sort of limbo, having reached my personal goal but cutting it short in another way.
The daily fasts themselves were sort of half-assed in that I didn’t really prepare as well as I could have. I’ll give you a breakdown (thankfully not the stressed-out, crying, fainting kind):

Monday and Tuesday: Raw Food: This was easy and tasty. I think I eat raw a lot of the time anyway so it was no big change except that I tried to eat less. Also, when I eat raw I eat the vegetables just as they are without a raw recipe. The tabbouleh (I still can’t figure out how I want to spell it apparently) was pretty good. The marinade made a lot more than I needed or wanted and the lemon overpowered any other flavoring and the serving size itself was pretty huge. Raw diets really don’t hold back it seems in making up for otherwise missing calories (I guess? But nuts and avocados and oils are calorie-rich anyway). The tabbouleh really could have been three servings. Also, broccoli makes your farts stink. Tuesday included an organic Pink Crisp apple and basically the same salad as Monday.

Wednesday: One raw meal, liquids the rest of the day: This was really easy too.
Breakfast was also a fairly normal one for me: raw overnight oats, although soaked in water rather than in soymilk like I usually do, with a whole banana and handful of raw walnuts. I ate as late as possible so it would hold me, hug me, and squeeze me all day. Oh I also made a Trader Joe’s green powder drink with half apple juice-half water for some extra vitamins. I’m still on the fence about this product but it is much tastier with some juice.



For lunch, I really stepped out of the comfort zone and went to Liquiteria, a juicing place near work, and got one of their “All Greens” juice, consisting of kale, spinach, romaine, parsley, celery, and cucumber. It took me a while to drink and it really filled me up. I wonder how much of each they used. They also don’t list nutrition info but whatevs.
Dinner was a cup of miso soup, which I actually didn’t need but it was on the menu plan so I had it and it was fine. This was made from pure miso paste, not a powder like I usually buy. Also: Beware! A lot of miso soup is not vegan or vegetarian. It often contains bonito, which is dried fish.
Then I went to see Greg’s Marsh Hens at a bar and drank a tonic. No gin! It was still quite refreshing and only two bucks.

Thursday: Liquid fast.
Breakfast was green tea which I didn’t realize has caffeine in it – oops – and more TJ’s green powder drink with half apple juice-half water. This held me until about 1:30, when I bought a Mighty Mango Naked Juice and had maybe 3 or 4 sips. I feel sort of dumb about this purchase because it was added money (not eating is expensive – I’ll give you a grocery run down in a different post) and because it wasn’t fresh juice. But it was tasty. I was feeling kind of tired and hoped the sugar would pep me up.
Lunch was Liquiteria again for a really delicious fresh squeezed “Mixed Veggie” juice: carrot, beet, celery, cucumber, and red cabbage. This was large and filling and bloodily dangerous looking. Really energizing.
For dinner, I had planned more miso soup but Greg came over and we made cookies instead for him to bring for Easter. No, I didn’t eat any. I had some more green tea.
I will leave you with the tempting and detox-inedible Chocolaty Crinkle Cookies from the glorious Vegan Cookies Invade Your Cookie Jar. Maybe G will tell us if his family liked them; we might have overcooked them.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave a message and I'll call you back.